Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Hot Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the effects of stray golf balls on solar panels may not necessarily be an issue, depending on the location of your house and the distance from tee off points
There is a street or a couple of streets in Cessnock where a plot of land comes with a caveat that the owner of the land cannot claim damage from wayward golf balls from the nearby golf club. (Used to be golf club land before they sold it off). But even with that I didnt think it's a substantive issue. I put it down to the same possibility of hailstorms

10A request would possibly be much easier and gets the EV user nearly to where they need to be. And in any case Queensland does not permit 32A single phase IIRC
I believe it is 20A max in Qld for a single phase, under the new rules. When I put my HPWC in the sparky would not go above that, due to the length of the feeders.

As far as installation hassles go - if they refuse a 20A WC, a 15A outlet would not be unreasonable. If it's electrically feasible, just do it. Better to ask forgiveness afterwards than seek permission first.

I believe it is 20A max in Qld for a single phase, under the new rules. When I put my HPWC in the sparky would not go above that, due to the length of the feeders.

As far as installation hassles go - if they refuse a 20A WC, a 15A outlet would not be unreasonable. If it's electrically feasible, just do it. Better to ask forgiveness afterwards than seek permission first.
We have 3 phase and 20A was the limit (in QLD) according to the bloke that installed our wall charger without major work from memory, we currently have 16A which is just fine.

According to the attached article, the effects of stray golf balls on solar panels may not necessarily be an issue, depending on the location of your house and the distance from tee off points. I‘m guessing windy days carrying balls onto your roof would approach at a more oblique angle which are less likely to do damage. Just food for thought.
As to payback periods, reducing your carbon footprint has a long lasting payback to your children and grandchildren.
It's a problem because many balls land directly on the roof. There are some pretty ordinary golfers around, especially when the wind blows. We can easily collect a dozen balls a month from around our house.

Has anyone out there an understanding of the battery management system (BMS) in a 2023 MYLR? There didn't seem to be a definitive answer to my question about our hot garage and if the BMS will protect it over the long haul.
What temps are you seeing in garage?

My understanding is the BMS does not regulate the battery temperature while the car is parked and/or plugged in while charging is complete. The battery will trend to ambient temp after a while.

The best way to protect the battery in the LR while the car is parked is not the leave the battery in high SoC for long periods. Overnight is no problem. Depending on temps I suspect lower than 50% may even be better but I have no specific details. Generally Hot and high SoC do not mix well.
Note that transportation of batteries according to Tesla is requires less than 50% SoC by road and less than 30% SoC by air.

Note that scheduled preconditioning only increases temp to approx 5-10C if battery was below that prior to scheduled preconditioning.

Driving typically results in a battery around 30-35C

Supercharging raises temp to 60C

Overall I think keeping batteries at 50% unless you need more is my practice. Cycling between 30-50% is much better than 60-80%

Last edited:
Has anyone out there an understanding of the battery management system (BMS) in a 2023 MYLR? There didn't seem to be a definitive answer to my question about our hot garage and if the BMS will protect it over the long haul.
AFAIK, no Tesla manages the battery temperature when the car is asleep. To do so would drain much more battery. People who have car monitors say the car only draws around 5W when asleep, and there is no way that is possible if there was any active cooling or heating going on (or even a fan running).

That seems to match my own observations: when car is left alone for a long period like days or weeks, it drops only around 1 mile of rated range every day or two; in my Model 3, the rated range is based on ~210Wh/mi, which means 210Wh every 24 hours to 48 hours which works out to an average of ~4-9W.

The temperature however is managed when car is awake (which the car may occasionally wake to recharge the 12V/16V battery; people say every one or two days for the 12V batteries).

That said, it's not a big deal as long as you keep the SOCs low. Batteries degrade the fastest at high temperatures and high SOCs.

Even if you keep the car plugged in, it actually will go to sleep after the car reaches the target charge. However, as the battery drains down to some point, it will wake up to top it back up to the target charge. This is just what I observed personally.

You would have to weigh the benefits and risks of leaving it plugged in. If you need to use the car immediately after your return, you may want to keep it plugged in (especially if you might accidentally leave a feature on that might keep it awake and drain the battery). If not, you may leave it unplugged, which reduces the risk of issues while you are gone (like a bad connection that might lead to a fire).

Last edited:
For the cells there's lower degradation at low SOC and low temperatures.

Looking at my car (model S P85) I can see that the battery won't be actively cooled until the temperature hits 52 degrees. Car is currently at 53%. I think as the SOC rises the car will select a lower temperature to actively cool, but I haven't seen a target below 35 degrees.

So the car will keep the battery away from temperatures with extreme degradation, but it's by no means optimum for storage. As others have said if the car was actively cooling the battery you would see higher battery drain while the car is parked. It generally just sits at the ambient temperature.

Ideally we would have a storage mode option in the car. Set the charge point to something like 30% and actively cool the battery to 10 degrees. Yes this would require more power but if you have solar then this might be effectively free anyway. I'd much rather have the battery not degrading when I'm away for weeks/months.

• Informative
Reactions: Power Hungry