Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery cover under car damaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

The battery cover under my model 3 is damaged. I accidentally ran over a curb (I know, I know). There is a piece about 8 inches by 8 inches that is hanging down. I can push it back up so it doesn't drag on the ground as I'm driving. But comes loose a lot, so I have to pull over and push it back up.

I'm wondering if I could just cut that flap that's hanging down off? I presume that would be dangerous for the battery, leaving it somewhat exposed.

Anyone have experience either repairing or replacing the battery cover under their model 3?

Thanks!

Reactions: hcdavis3
I couldn’t imagine that the actual battery pack lower panel is hanging down as that panel is pretty stout and bonded to the rest of the pack. Are you sure it’s not either the front or rear covers? These covers cover things like the front and rear motor and accessories. Have a pic?

If it’s just these, check to see if they are “ripped” where they attach to the car. If they are, you will need to get new covers or improvise and strap them somehow.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Hello,

The battery cover under my model 3 is damaged. I accidentally ran over a curb (I know, I know). There is a piece about 8 inches by 8 inches that is hanging down. I can push it back up so it doesn't drag on the ground as I'm driving. But comes loose a lot, so I have to pull over and push it back up.

I'm wondering if I could just cut that flap that's hanging down off? I presume that would be dangerous for the battery, leaving it somewhat exposed.

Anyone have experience either repairing or replacing the battery cover under their model 3?

Thanks!
Is it the Aeroshield? It’s happened to me before.

I couldn’t imagine that the actual battery pack lower panel is hanging down as that panel is pretty stout and bonded to the rest of the pack. Are you sure it’s not either the front or rear covers? These covers cover things like the front and rear motor and accessories. Have a pic?

If it’s just these, check to see if they are “ripped” where they attach to the car. If they are, you will need to get new covers or improvise and strap them somehow.

IMG_2954.jpg

Hard to get a good picture under there. But I tried. It's near the front, the material almost feels like felt or carpet. I was just assuming that this was the battery cover, but I'm not familiar with the anatomy under there.

It covers the battery

The "Front Aero" (in the front) and the "Mid Aero" in the back do not cover the battery. They cover the motor area and help protect it from incidental small debris.

@ashand32 appears to have damaged his Front Aero underbody shield. It doesn't appear that the battery is significantly damaged (this is good!) though hard to tell. Tesla will let you know!

I'd recommend having the cover replaced or purchasing the part if you have safe ramps and don't mind doing it yourself (quite a few bolts but it isn't very difficult). It's probably fine to cut off the part that is hanging down though. It will likely leave critical coolant hoses and harnesses more exposed, and if damaged, could necessitate a costly ($15k) battery replacement. The cover itself doesn't provide much protection against major debris so it probably would require really bad luck to have a problem that the cover would protect against, but who knows.

Definitely don't want to run over curbs. If you avoided battery damage, you're very lucky.

I'd be a bit surprised if some of the mounting bolts and attachment points for the cover weren't a bit damaged after this curb run-in. But probably can be bent back or replaced.

Reactions: jmaddr and hcdavis3
The "Front Aero" (in the front) and the "Mid Aero" in the back do not cover the battery. They cover the motor area and help protect it from incidental small debris.

@ashand32 appears to have damaged his Front Aero underbody shield. It doesn't appear that the battery is significantly damaged (this is good!) though hard to tell. Tesla will let you know!

I'd recommend having the cover replaced or purchasing the part if you have safe ramps and don't mind doing it yourself (quite a few bolts but it isn't very difficult). It's probably fine to cut off the part that is hanging down though. It will likely leave critical coolant hoses and harnesses more exposed, and if damaged, could necessitate a costly ($15k) battery replacement. The cover itself doesn't provide much protection against major debris so it probably would require really bad luck to have a problem that the cover would protect against, but who knows.

Definitely don't want to run over curbs. If you avoided battery damage, you're very lucky.

I'd be a bit surprised if some of the mounting bolts and attachment points for the cover weren't a bit damaged after this curb run-in. But probably can be bent back or replaced.
Thanks Alan. I stand corrected.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life