Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Degradation; Sailing & Touching a Shore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be some misunderstandings lately about rated range, the Battery Management System (BMS), and battery degradation. If you feel like reading about this, let me attempt to explain this in a different way, that I hope will clarify this phenomenon for you. I am NOT speaking out against battery degradation BTW, I believe it to be real. But I do think there are measurement errors in the way that some folks determine that degradation.

Here goes:

Let's go sailing.

Imagine yourself setting out on a sailing adventure. But for this adventure, you decide to go "old school" and navigate using the stars, the sun, and a time reference...just how they did it back centuries ago. For this trip, you have no GPS to pinpoint your position for your journey, but you have some tried a true ways to make pretty good estimates using those celestial elements.

For this trip you will be sailing exactly 1,000 miles across the ocean. From your home port to the far shore is exactly 1,000 miles. Got it?

Let's say you set off and sail for many weeks. Using the celestial methods, you determine one day that you are halfway across the ocean. Then for whatever reason, you decide to turn around and sail back home. You turn the ship around and sail for home. Heading this new opposite direction, you sail for weeks.

Now heading back home, many weeks later, you calculate that you are 90% of the way there when you again determine that you want to turn around and head back to the original destination! So you turn the ship around and head back the original direction towards that far off land.

Sail that way for many many more weeks and continue to update your position using our above celestial methods.

Let's say that along this leg, you suddenly encounter some doldrums (areas without any wind). For those days, here and there, you simply sit and drift...barely moving at all. Some days you get a little distance travelled, but others there are no helpful winds.

Using the sun and stars...where are you? How can you determine how close you are to either shore? This back and forth, along with some drifting and doldrums is going to make your time and speed calculations very difficult to pinpoint your exact position. Is the far shore 397 miles away? Maybe it's 390? Your best guess based on the noon sun and an inaccurate clock allows you to calculate that perhaps you are 390 to 400 miles away...but you can't be sure. (That's how they did it back then by the way). Plus, all that time drifting and sitting stagnate has foiled any time/speed calculations you might have done.

Bottom line: Without seeing either shore for a good length of time...you cannot be certain of how close you are to either shore.

So this is how the Tesla BMS works folks. It's running a best guess algorithm and guessing what battery range you have (State of Charge/SOC) based on voltages and your back and forth across the charging spectrum. Is that 90% you are charging to really 90%? When you drive all day and get to 30% SOC, is that really 30%?

Lemme answer that for you...it's not. It's the BMS's best guess at that moment.

Did you happen to sit in traffic, or at stop lights along your last drive? If so, you are covering zero distance, while there is slight drain on the system (doldrums). The BMS has to account for that too.

This is why Tesla engineers, battery experts, Bjorn, and others, highly recommend what I call "touching a shore" or getting your battery to 0 or 100%. This gives the BMS a known point to base is calculations on. Make any sense? Furthermore, to get a really accurate test of your true battery health via range predictions, you have to do like Bjorn talks about and charge to 100% and then immediately drive to zero percent with no hard accelerations, no stops (doldrums), no hills, constant speeds, etc. Truthfully, it can't be done.

I hope my analogy helps you understand a little bit better on some of the things going on with the BMS algorithm and therefore why suddenly, one day, you charge up to 80% or 90% and the number next to the green battery icon on the dashboard is different that what you're used to seeing.

Here's Bjorns fantastic video again, I really recommend you watch it to truly begin to get a feel for some of the "stuff" that is going on inside the Tesla BMS brain, and WHY accurate measurements are needed before claiming "battery degradation."

Thank you.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/sluubd3d/sluubd3d.pdf
Here is the reference manual for a Ti BMS chip (bq78350-R1) and it recommends doing a 'qualified discharge' to re-calibrate the Full Charge Capacity (FCC). Read Section 9.1.6 and 9.1.7 for further details. Also, the magnitude of FCC Learn Up or FCC Learn Down is limited by the programmed settings in the firmware. So it may take a few update cycles to re-calibrate FCC. Not sure what exact BMS Tesla is using, but I bet it is very similar in function to this one, though it may have slightly different programmed parameters.

My LR AWD (P3D-) at 80% State Of Charge (SOC) only indicates 224mi of range (used to be 245+) after 2790 miles of daily driving without ever letting SOC go below 40%, or Supercharging, and always charging to no more than 80% SOC. Teslacore 1.2D02 is reporting a 'battery degradation' of 5.81%, though this number doesn't jive, as it should be more like 8% based on the loss of indicated range as compared to the Design Charge Capacity (DCC) of 310 miles at 100% SOC.

I'm going to charge it to 100% then leave the HVAC on in the garage till it gets down to below 20% then charge back up to 80%. A slow enough discharge (that doesn't trip any current/temp failsafes) will help the Coulomb Counter algorithm function more accurately in the BMS. And a 'slow' battery usage due to running the HVAC seems a lot more controlled and repeatable to me than driving the car. I'm not actually worried about any 'actual' degradation, but I do want to see if the estimated degradation can match reality a bit better.

Hope to update this post tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Last edited:
At 7:05 PM (EST), I'm seeing the battery bar full @ 100%, but only indicating 280mi. But, it still says 30mins of remaining charging time. That's almost a 10% degradation from the original rated capacity. I wonder if the indicated range will rise through the next 30 mins.

7:35PM (EST), still says it's at 100% SOC with the same indicated range of 280 miles. Going to disconnect the charger cable and turn the HVAC (heat) on till it goes below 20%. But, since I plan to go to sleep by the time it reaches 20%, it might go below that, or automatically shut it down before it discharges too much.

I also just realized that I posted this in the wrong forum. I meant to post it in the Model 3 forum, but instead posted in the Model S forum. Sorry. Can someone help move this to the correct section? Thanks.

Last edited:
At 7:05 PM (EST), I'm seeing the battery bar full @ 100%, but only indicating 280mi. But, it still says 30mins of remaining charging time. That's almost a 10% degradation from the original rated capacity. I wonder if the indicated range will rise through the next 30 mins.

7:35PM (EST), still says it's at 100% SOC with the same indicated range of 280 miles. Going to disconnect the charger cable and turn the HVAC (heat) on till it goes below 20%. But, since I plan to go to sleep by the time it reaches 20%, it might go below that, or automatically shut it down before it discharges too much.

I also just realized that I posted this in the wrong forum. I meant to post it in the Model 3 forum, but instead posted in the Model S forum. Sorry. Can someone help move this to the correct section? Thanks.
Just stumbled across this post in the middle of the night. Having caught my eye, I wonder if you continued your research and where you are today?