Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Didn't Discharge During Peak Last Night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that for the first time ever my battery didn't power my home during peak time last night. Nothing in my settings have changed and I am still on the same rate schedule. I didn't notice it until after the peak period ended and saw my battery was still at 100%/. I temporarily switched to self power after peak to make sure everything functions correctly and the battery did power the house when in self powered.

Anyone know a possible reason for this?

I'm seeing a lot of small, different behaviors with the latest firmware.

- One user reported calibration and forced disconnect from the grid.
- My powerwalls stopped charging on TOU/free night until I reset the sell price back to $0.00.
- Your powerwall didn't discharge

I'm assuming something reset with the latest firmware that needed it to restart it's learning algorithms. Just a wild guess though.

Did your system participate in the VPP event the day prior? If so I wonder if an algorithm got confused after?

Interestingly my system was just the opposite yesterday. It gave up a lot more energy than it should have and did not charge the PWs sufficiently to get me all the way through the peak period. This was because yesterday was the first real heat day we had this season and my AC kicked on. The algorithms work great when you have consistent usage, but these transition days cause problems for me.

It might be due to the change of the new electricity season starting today for many in California. Today is the start of summer pricing, so maybe it wanted to keep as much energy as possible while electricity rate was relatively cheap yesterday compared to today.

It might be due to the change of the new electricity season starting today for many in California. Today is the start of summer pricing, so maybe it wanted to keep as much energy as possible while electricity rate was relatively cheap yesterday compared to today.
I think you are correct in my situation. My off peak delta is probably not as big as it was for winter rates. So the system decided it would be better to use the solar straight away and just charge the battery enough to get me through the peak period. We shall see.

Working today.
IMG_8348.png

Reactions: aesculus