Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain during charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a test the last week. Sentry Mode "on" in Safety menu in car, but exclude home checked = 1-2% power drain over 12 hours.
Sentry Mode "off" in Safety menu = 0% power drain.
On 2022.4.5.17 I'm seeing this behavior. I didn't see it prior.

The Safety Section Sentry Mode seems to be for automation home/work/favs excluded.
Turning it off and on via app, or via Controls in the car arms/disarms manually.
2-4% over a couple days and it doesn't seem to feed off the wall connector to take it back up to the charge limit. I've seen it drop to 57% down from 63%.

Original OP here. Tesla service came today to disconnect the 12V and uncouple (?) the main battery to reset everything. They found the 12V battery was swelling and need to be replaced. Not sure if that will have any effect on the charging issue but they suggested I monitor going forward. So….we’ll see.

I actually just swapped to the ohmmu lithium battery this morning. Had to shut the power down, disconnect the high voltage feed and got it all installed. Wanted to see how it behaved tonight.

EA1D5CC2-FAE3-4C6D-9340-8BAF86683296.jpeg

Reactions: Riguy and JDEWD250
Yesterday, my car lost about 6% overnight parked in my garage. I had just received an update earlier in the day, so it may be that. It's also possible that somehow sentry mode was left on or the climate control was on.

In either case, it's a bit concerning, and hopefully won't happen again.

Yesterday, my car lost about 6% overnight parked in my garage. I had just received an update earlier in the day, so it may be that. It's also possible that somehow sentry mode was left on or the climate control was on.

In either case, it's a bit concerning, and hopefully won't happen again.
Check all of your settings. Updates have been known to reset some things you may have customized.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I saw a similar thread a while back. One of the theories was that the individual battery cells were ’balancing’ or equilibrating and charge was being transferred between them causing the % charge estimate to drop. I can’t confirm this but it’s another possibility.

I actually just swapped to the ohmmu lithium battery this morning. Had to shut the power down, disconnect the high voltage feed and got it all installed. Wanted to see how it behaved tonight.

View attachment 789380
How are you liking the Ohmmu? With a Jun 2020 build I'm coming up on 2 years, figuring I'll get maybe 3 years Max and from what I've read notice of impending failure is hit or miss so want to be proactive. I haven't seen where an OEM retrofit is in the works so the Ohmmu seems like the next best option, please advise. Or if anyone else has made the switch feel free to weigh in!

Reactions: sleepydoc
How are you liking the Ohmmu? With a Jun 2020 build I'm coming up on 2 years, figuring I'll get maybe 3 years Max and from what I've read notice of impending failure is hit or miss so want to be proactive. I haven't seen where an OEM retrofit is in the works so the Ohmmu seems like the next best option, please advise. Or if anyone else has made the switch feel free to weigh in!
It was much lighter than the stock battery. I'd ball park it at a 17-18lb weight drop. Should last 10x longer than the lead acid. I believe the old battery was around 45Ah and the new one was a higher capacity, but could not locate an actual rating. When I first put it in the car my assumption was it would need to be charged a bit. Heard the car doing its humming for part of the day then it stopped int he evening. Everything worked fine after. There are some 5% savings codes floating around the internet which may save a little too.

Based on my understanding of how much changed with the 2022 Model Y's 15.5V system I did not get the impression there would be a retrofit. They listed several part changes with pumps and such to support that increased voltage as well as the Ryzen update.

It was much lighter than the stock battery. I'd ball park it at a 17-18lb weight drop. Should last 10x longer than the lead acid. I believe the old battery was around 45Ah and the new one was a higher capacity, but could not locate an actual rating. When I first put it in the car my assumption was it would need to be charged a bit. Heard the car doing its humming for part of the day then it stopped int he evening. Everything worked fine after. There are some 5% savings codes floating around the internet which may save a little too.

Based on my understanding of how much changed with the 2022 Model Y's 15.5V system I did not get the impression there would be a retrofit. They listed several part changes with pumps and such to support that increased voltage as well as the Ryzen update.
OK good deal, and thanks for the tips on the codes. I think I'll take a spin up I10 and grab one at the source soon - by appt. only according to their site. This desert heat eats battery's pretty quickly. Rare to get more than 3 years out of one and it's just silly to push it, especially when it performs vital functions for the MY. Wish there were a retrofit route but I believe you're right, probably won't happen and the Ohmmu seems like the best alternative.

Cheers! And thanks again. :)

A low technology way to monitor your battery is to connect something like this to your battery and run the cord up near the wipers so you can check the voltage without waking up the car. I had a spare one around from a battery charger I'd purchased.

My guess is sentry mode and being unplugged overnight at home would be the most likely to draw down the battery. Those times I've checked mine, it looks fine (perhaps a year and a half old).