Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain Overnight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 updated to .35 the other night and did not sleep a wink, reboot didn't fix it. I blamed the upgrade, but the problem actually went away when I changed my password & APi key. This stopped my Ohme charger from communicating with the car to read the battery level. The car now sleeps like a baby.

Reactions: Alistairuk
My M3 updated to .35 the other night and did not sleep a wink, reboot didn't fix it. I blamed the upgrade, but the problem actually went away when I changed my password & APi key. This stopped my Ohme charger from communicating with the car to read the battery level. The car now sleeps like a baby.

I guess that is what they are trying. Thing is I have no third party apps connected. I use home charger as dumb and use cars scheduled start for charging. So no idea what 3rd party could access. Will see what they report in the end, they have had the car since Thursday. Can’t wait to get rid of the S loaner!

My car happily sleeps during the day, but it’s waking up in the night and then not going back to sleep. Sentry is off and I have tried keeping Bluetooth off etc on my phone. Nothing makes a difference.

just odd that it’s sleeping fine in the day but not overnight.

As they "only" use the API though, shouldn't they be completely passive?

Actually, thinking about it, there is also the Ohme charger app in play too, as finally got my home charger installed on 12th Jan.....

The API appears not enforce any synchronised access to the car. Without any synchronisation between the apps, its a free for all with them constantly 'pinging' the car at random, so whilst some apps may be trying to detect it sleeping, others could be keeping it wake. Then after a period of time, the ones that were watching for the car sleeping will have given up and started polling, whilst the ones that had previously kept it awake, will now be waiting for it to sleep. And that assumes well behaved apps.

I've changed my password, so I'll leave everything logged out until tomorrow morning and then log back into the Tesla app and TeslaMate to see how it fared. I've got a short journey I need to make this afternoon, so will even use the key card for that trip!

no sentry I assume? in which case that is quite a lot but its hard to tell at this time of year because it goes up and down with temp
No sentry. I couldn't see any correlation with temp in my previous observations and there are people on this thread with much less drain in much colder temps.
I've got a service appointment booked for a faulty camera so will add this.

No sentry. I couldn't see any correlation with temp in my previous observations and there are people on this thread with much less drain in much colder temps.
I've got a service appointment booked for a faulty camera so will add this.

I see about 1% 'loss' with the temperature dropping below 0 degrees, say from 5 degree during the day. That is 'gained' when the battery warms up. 3% loss overnight must be caused by something keeping the car awake.

When you to open the car, do you hear the main battery 'engaging'? This is an an audible 'thunk' with my car. If that sound isn't there, your car is kept 'awake' by some process.

I reset my password at 8pm last night. No apps running, Tesla app switched off and at 11am today - 3% loss of charge.

How are you checking that loss of charge?

If using the app, it will be showing the 'cold' charge which will vary with temperature and come back when things warm up. Currently we have a 5% difference between 'cold' and nominal charge - the 'cold' charge is a moving target and cannot be use to compare charge in different conditions.

I’m losing between 6 & 10% every night. Car sleep during the day but is then awake all night for no reason I can see. Anyone else losing this much?
7AAD847D-293E-4C0F-80AB-F40744BC881A.jpeg

If using the app, it will be showing the 'cold' charge which will vary with temperature and come back when things warm up. Currently we have a 5% difference between 'cold' and nominal charge - the 'cold' charge is a moving target and cannot be use to compare charge in different conditions.

Leave it a few days then you can ignore the cold charge effect as that is a one off factor, you don’t lose 3% per day as a result of that.

Service centre told me that there was no more battery drain as resetting password has stopped third party pinging the car. It was losing 3-4% per day prior. And have the 35.5 update too which might stamp on some bugs.

More hopeful in that doing something as there were no apps connected to the car in the first place. It is still showing as awake on my WiFi and I can hear it whirring. But it is plugged in at the moment. Will see how it goes once charged and had a reset.

I used the tesla app today, but the behaviour is exactly the same as I saw when I had Teslamate running. I initially spotted the car cycling between online and asleep right after the 2020.48.30 upgrade. I lost 23% over 6 and a bit days so I reset the password at that point and only switched on Teslamate. I could see the cycles and drain so then installed Teslafi to rule out Teslamate as the culprit. I turned off Teslamate and could still see the cycles and excessive drain on Teslafi. Now with all apps off I can still see the drain. Is there any other way to see if the car is awake other than with apps?
Incidentally the drain is just under 5% per day. The 3% was just overnight. I'll get a better view over the weekend when the car won't be moved at all for about 3 days.

I am getting a bit fed up with the battery drain. Service centre line is a "third party keeping it up and advice to change password. Then they claim to have monitored it and it was not doing it anymore. This seems like crap as the battery went from 80% to 47% on my roundtrip to Dartford, which is about 30 miles. They had it for five days all in. Phantom drain of about 20% over that time fits with that.

Anyway, I get back from service centre, install latest updated 35.5. Reset. No apps connected, nothing, turn bluetooth off phone and no sentry and yet the car still appears on my WiFi all the time (I'm not waking it up with the app), it is rarely not connected to my wifi and it continues to whir. It's not even that cold. I'm going to leave it a couple of days sitting there, not plugged in, but I fully expect to have lost 12%+ over three days.

In the 340 miles I've done in the last month (thanks lockdown) I've stuck about 350kw into it. This is not fun. Obviously this is not much cash wise but I assume that it is cycles in the battery and thus contributing to degradation. The old car did not do this ever.

So is it a software problem that they have yet to iron out, or do I have a dud?

Is it a model 3?
I know this probably doesn't help , but for me park up (at home say), in 15 minutes it's asleep.
I only have teslamate and my tesla phone app, which I kill and switch off bluetooth.
the whir sound, is it heating the inside of the car?
Do you have any sort of preset heating going on? battery heating or cabin heating etc?
Given the drain wondering if the heaters are running?

Is it a model 3?
I know this probably doesn't help , but for me park up (at home say), in 15 minutes it's asleep.
I only have teslamate and my tesla phone app, which I kill and switch off bluetooth.
the whir sound, is it heating the inside of the car?
Do you have any sort of preset heating going on? battery heating or cabin heating etc?
Given the drain wondering if the heaters are running?
Yep it is a 3. The heater is not running, though I think the whirring noise is the heat pump (it’s a refresh model). There is no preset heating happening, although I will double check the settings.

Judging from the forum quite a few seem to be suffering. I never quite understand how the same software can generate different errors for different people with the same hardware, but that seems to be reality. I guess I just have to keep bugging the service centre until its addressed. But it is annoying me quite a bit!!