Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain Overnight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
continues to whir.

the whir sound, is it heating the inside of the car?

In my antique May 2018 build TM3 LR RWD, that whir sound comes from the "superbottle" where every coolant circuit in the car merges...and one of the little pumps does its thing, which I suspect has something to do with the software making sure the battery pack temperature swings are kept as uniform across all sections of the pack as possible.

Well it's been 3 days now since I reset my Tesla password to see what effect that had on my silly awake levels. It's now a very different pattern, but still doesn't make sense...

Last2Days.JPG

The car is happily sleeping for 6-8 hours, but then it's waking and staying awake for 5 to 6 hours at a time!

I'd reset my password on 26th, and then logged back into TeslaMate at 11:00 on 27th, so basically right at the start of the 2 day graph I've attached. I had nothing else signed in on 27th, and only signed back into the Tesla app on my phone yesterday (28th) at 10:50, so don't believe that is causing the long wake as it had completed one of those and was part way through the second when I signed into the app.

I've not got anything else re-signed in (e.g. Ohme app), and I have not got the car plugged in.....

Does seem odd. My car is still staying awake for between an hour and two hours every day when parked up, whereas it always used to only wake up for around ten to fifteen minutes each day. Something's clearly changed as a consequence of one of the recent updates, it seems. The time of day that the car wakes up has changed too. It always used to wake up at around 00:15 each night, then go back to sleep by around 00:30. Now it seems to wake up at random times each day, sometimes twice a day, and stay awake for a great deal longer.

Well it's been 3 days now since I reset my Tesla password to see what effect that had on my silly awake levels. It's now a very different pattern, but still doesn't make sense...

View attachment 631837

The car is happily sleeping for 6-8 hours, but then it's waking and staying awake for 5 to 6 hours at a time!

I'd reset my password on 26th, and then logged back into TeslaMate at 11:00 on 27th, so basically right at the start of the 2 day graph I've attached. I had nothing else signed in on 27th, and only signed back into the Tesla app on my phone yesterday (28th) at 10:50, so don't believe that is causing the long wake as it had completed one of those and was part way through the second when I signed into the app.

I've not got anything else re-signed in (e.g. Ohme app), and I have not got the car plugged in.....
That's exactly the pattern I am getting - I've turned Teslamate off and still getting the drain, but obviously can't see the online/asleep cycles. This only started with 48.30, so hoping its a software thing. Tesla are coming out on Monday, shall see what they say.

Reactions: Blokie
That's exactly the pattern I am getting - I've turned Teslamate off and still getting the drain, but obviously can't see the online/asleep cycles. This only started with 48.30, so hoping its a software thing. Tesla are coming out on Monday, shall see what they say.

Does yours report as falling asleep as opposed to online during those long spells? Mine currently says this...

Status.JPG

I read that it is trying to fall asleep for the last 4 hours but can’t. When it is sleeping it says ‘asleep for 4 hours’.

So there must Be a status of ‘falling asleep’ but for whatever reason it doesn’t transition to the actual sleep state for hours.

I had a look at my router (eero) what the Tesla is doing while it is trying to fall asleep. There is a lot of chit chat going on it seems. Only about 6kbps so it doesn’t look like big downloads or uploads.

It seems on a normal day the upload and download is about 6-7 MB each way. It seems like a fairy even split between upload and download.
It would be interesting to use a network sniffer to log how often the communication with the mothership happens and who initiates it.

I had a look at my router (eero) what the Tesla is doing while it is trying to fall asleep. There is a lot of chit chat going on it seems. Only about 6kbps so it doesn’t look like big downloads or uploads.

It seems on a normal day the upload and download is about 6-7 MB each way. It seems like a fairy even split between upload and download.
It would be interesting to use a network sniffer to log how often the communication with the mothership happens and who initiates it.
wonder if you disabled the wifi (at the car or router) whether it might sleep, just as a test

If you look at the Status graph for this time period, does it show Online?

Yup it's currently showing falling asleep for 5 hours on the overview page, and on the states graph it's showing that 5 hours as online.

I've only got TeslaMate and the Tesla android app connected, and if was doing this before I connected the app, and just as another test I turned off Bluetooth and killed the app about w hours ago and its still "falling asleep" now...

Mine is still doing the same thing - ~7-8 hours asleep followed by ~6 hours awake (or "falling asleep" according to TeslaMate). I've lost 4% in around the last 30 hours since a charge from 46% to 90% (now down to 86%)...

Last2Days.JPG

I had similar. It was awake for days and then fell in to a pattern of waking every 30 mins. All started on the 21st

upload_2021-2-1_11-32-17.png

Anyway, not knowing if it was

a) The car
b) Ohme polling the car
c) Teslamate polling the car

I did a reset on the car. Both wheel buttons and brake pedal.

Changed my Tesla pwd then logged back in on Ohme and Teslamate.

Problem went away and it now sleeps for days at a time. You can see where I did the above reset on the 26th...

upload_2021-2-1_11-35-40.png

:)

Reactions: navguy12
I had similar. It was awake for days and then fell in to a pattern of waking every 30 mins. All started on the 21st

View attachment 632886

Anyway, not knowing if it was

a) The car
b) Ohme polling the car
c) Teslamate polling the car

I did a reset on the car. Both wheel buttons and brake pedal.

Changed my Tesla pwd then logged back in on Ohme and Teslamate.

Problem went away and it now sleeps for days at a time. You can see where I did the above reset on the 26th...

View attachment 632888

:)

Thanks for the info. I've done all of that already, as something was clashing and keeping it awake so I changed my Password and still only have the Tesla app and TeslaMate with access.

I might go try another car reset and see if that helps at all.