Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I know this is always a hot topic but hear me out

Since the V11 update, I’ve noticed huge differences in my power consumption

Here’s an example, car preconditioned this morning. Started with 91% battery. Done the school run, came back, went straight out to shops, car sat with sentry on for 1.5 hours and returned home. In total, 13 miles completed and 20% battery used

Surely this can’t be right?

Uphill? Downhill? Outside Temp? Lots of sentry alerts or none? Snowflake icon showing at any time?
Have a read at the other battery drain threads and follow the recommendations there for identifying if the loss is normal or not.
Pretty flat run, no major inclines or declines
4-8 degrees outside temp
no sentry alerts
no snowflake icon
car preconditioned prior to departure

Using 15 KWh for 13 miles is certainly possible at this time of year. Preconditioning from the battery and not the mains must chew a few KWh on its own. Couple that with the super inefficiency that you get for short journeys at this time of year and the figures you have don’t surprise me. Don’t get me wrong, it is high energy usage, but losing 20% over several short journeys in the cold wouldn’t surprise me (I’ve also got a 2020 M3P).

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Using 15 KWh for 13 miles is certainly possible at this time of year. Preconditioning from the battery and not the mains must chew a few KWh on its own. Couple that with the super inefficiency that you get for short journeys at this time of year and the figures you have don’t surprise me. Don’t get me wrong, it is high energy usage, but losing 20% over several short journeys in the cold wouldn’t surprise me (I’ve also got a 2020 M3P).
Thanks man, puts my mind at rest a bit

I had my M3 LR on charge last night and this morning I checked the app 10 minutes before my planned departure and the SoC was at the expected 81%. I then used the app to put the car into defrost mode. 10 minutes later the SoC was at 78%.

I thought it would be using shore power for the pre-heating but even so, 3% in 10 minutes seems excessive. Don't think I have noticed this before since owning for 16 months now. Outside temperature was -2.

Should the car be using shore power for preheating / preconditioning?