Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drained 30% overnight..Big Flaw, Easy Fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it would be useful to have a notification of a door is open. In @rawmean app (Tesla Stats) if the climate is turned on and I’m not in the car for a certain amount of time, I get a notification that the climate is on, but I don’t appear to be in the car. Wonder if he can add a feature for this?

But it is puzzling since other have stated they have left a door open and the car has still gone to sleep. I wonder what other factors would contribute to the OP’s car staying on and not others?

I think it would be useful to have a notification of a door is open. In @rawmean app (Tesla Stats) if the climate is turned on and I’m not in the car for a certain amount of time, I get a notification that the climate is on, but I don’t appear to be in the car. Wonder if he can add a feature for this?

But it is puzzling since other have stated they have left a door open and the car has still gone to sleep. I wonder what other factors would contribute to the OP’s car staying on and not others?
You beat me to the punch, but the Tesla Stats app has this feature. Go to the Settings tab and turn on "Enable Open Door Notification".

• Love
Reactions: f8K37Sq31
You beat me to the punch, but the Tesla Stats app has this feature. Go to the Settings tab and turn on "Enable Open Door Notification".

You want to talk about battery drain....

3rd party Tesla apps flog the cars with constant data queries.

Load Wireshark on any computer in your network and watch all of those Tesla IP packets constantly fly from phone to car to phone to car.....ALL DAY LONG.
The only thing that is happening with door/trunk/frunk opening Notifications is that the app constantly watches the picture on the phone for a door/frunk/trunk open graphic - while constantly prompting the car for updates. The car will never be able to sleep.

I removed my 3rd party Tesla app as it was not doing good things for my P3D+ battery nor my cell phone's battery.

Stats app
7D6E760E-19EA-41E3-A68D-8BD112EC7C0C.jpeg

You want to talk about battery drain....

3rd party Tesla apps flog the cars with constant data queries.

Load Wireshark on any computer in your network and watch all of those Tesla IP packets constantly fly from phone to car to phone to car.....ALL DAY LONG.
The only thing that is happening with door/trunk/frunk opening Notifications is that the app constantly watches the picture on the phone for a door/frunk/trunk open graphic - while constantly prompting the car for updates. The car will never be able to sleep.

I removed my 3rd party Tesla app as it was not doing good things for my P3D+ battery nor my cell phone's battery.
I studied the thread on this app pretty extensively by the developer. Too, the app actually shows battery drain, which was something he has done a good job solving for. In other words, YMMV, but it seems not all are created equal.

I studied the thread on this app pretty extensively by the developer. Too, the app actually shows battery drain, which was something he has done a good job solving for. In other words, YMMV, but it seems not all are created equal.

I understand, however there is NO WAY the app can get car data without constantly querying the car via IP. The car has to be "awake" in order to provide the data.

The app can track battery drain - as well as cause battery drain.

Reactions: Msjulie
I understand, however there is NO WAY the app can get car data without constantly querying the car via IP. The car has to be "awake" in order to provide the data.

The app can track battery drain - as well as cause battery drain.
I'm the developer for the "Stats for Tesla" app.
You are correct that in order to collect information from the car, you car needs to be queried. However, if done correctly (i.e., setting a query rate such that you don't miss events while keep the rate as small as possible), it is possible to not affect phantom drain. My phantom drain is ~0.2mph (i.e., I lose 0.2 miles per hour). This is a relatively small drain rate and I launch the app far more frequently than a typical user (for testing an development). You can contact me through the app using the Support button if you run to any issues.

Yep...the app is constantly querying the car as well as the Tesla app to get its information.

Wireshark is a free program that you can put on any PC in your network. Open it an watch the IP packets from your Tesla. You can clearly see when the car goes to sleep.
In iOS the apps cannot run in the background constantly (iOS suspends them shortly after the app is backgrounded). The exception is navigation and audio apps, of course. So, when backgrounded or killed, Stats queries the car very infrequently. The exact frequency is governed by iOS, but the period is larger than ~30 minutes. While in the foreground, Stats queries the car once every 4 seconds similar to what the default Tesla app does (so that the user gets the updated state of the car).

You may find the following graph that shows the histogram of phantom drain across different users useful (the graph is filtered for model 3 and is generated by the app). It shows that 0.2mph loss rate is the most frequent rate of loss.
IMG_B73EFEC85E25-1.jpeg

If the car could publish alerts like this to a cloud application, then 3rd party apps would not need to query the car and could query a web-service instead.
Right. Ideally, the apps (third-party or default Tesla app) should not do query the car to get information. Instead, as you suggested, the car should publish events when it happens.
For example, Nest thermostat does that. When you manually change the temperate on a nest thermostat, is publishes this event to Firebase (it's a real-time database owned by Google). This causes all the clients who have subscribed to such events to be notified. This is very simple to implement and Tesla can literally use Firebase to do it and I hope some day they do.

Reactions: Msjulie
Soo....I'm assuming that when your car went to sleep that there was no phantom drain occurring.
Phantom drain also occurs when the car is asleep. Any battery loses some charge even when it is unplugged completely. The loss due to turning on the modem in the car and transmitting a few packets is really virtually zero compared to the size of the car battery. These modems are designed for mobile phones and are extremely efficient (I used to work for a major mobile chip manufacturer).