Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drained 30% overnight..Big Flaw, Easy Fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I woke up this morning and was excited to drive my M ≡ Performance, but the battery was completely dead!
So you left your car in your garage unplugged overnight and it was at about 30%SOC when you left it with a rear door open.

You say you left the radio, lights, A/C on and the car “NEVER went to sleep”. So the reason you know that is that when you got to the car in the morning the radio, lights, A/C were still on?

And at that time what was the battery SOC? You didn’t say.

Reactions: Krugerrand
I woke up this morning and was excited to drive my M ≡ Performance, but the battery was completely dead!

Last night in the garage, I took the kids in the car and I was showing off the new “fart” update. Lots of giggles with some father and son bonding moments :)

Here is the problem (Flaw). My youngest son was in the back seat. The three of us exited the car at the same time and apparently he didn’t use enough force to close his door all the way and it remained “ajar” all night. As a result, the car NEVER went to sleep, and the radio, interior/exterior lights, A/C etc..were all ON all night long which resulted in the drain. I did not have it plugged in obviously.

Tesla needs to address this issue. The app should notify you if a door remains open after a certain time. Better yet, the app should notify you ANYTIME a door is open or opened. That way it will also serve as a notification of potential thief.

I’m glad this happened in my garage and not on a road trip somewhere.

I finally got use to the fact that you don’t really turn off this car..you put in Park and just get out and walk away. BUT, if a door is not fully closed the vehicle will stay on!

Please Fix this with the next update Tesla. Easy fix to a potentially big problem. IMHO

Thanks..

I don’t think leaving the door ajar is Tesla’s fault. You might try buying the Stats app. It will alert you if a door is left ajar. Plus it has cool data analysis, and is a one-time purchase for the app instead of a monthly payment like EVE’s Teslafi app.

• Love
Reactions: f8K37Sq31
I'm pretty sure the car turns everything off after an hour. You may want to test that. Also, I have an app called Tesla Stats that will send me notifications when a door is left open, etc.
I think Tesla used to turn off Climate if no one was in the car and Climate was turned on remotely (e.g., using an app). Sometime in 2017, a firmware update changed that behavior and now, climate is not turned off automatically until the battery reaches ~20%.

I think Tesla used to turn off Climate if no one was in the car and Climate was turned on remotely (e.g., using an app). Sometime in 2017, a firmware update changed that behavior and now, climate is not turned off automatically until the battery reaches ~20%.
A few nights ago, I installed a new update from my phone around 11:30PM on our Model 3. I then turned on the climate to HI (for just a few minutes!) so that I could go out to a toasty car and play some Pole Position. Instead, I fell asleep on the couch. o_O When I woke up in the early morning, I looked at my phone and had an alert (believe it was a native Tesla app alert) that climate had been on for 4 hours without anyone in the car, so it had been shut off. This is how I remember it. Let's just say my garage was insanely warm. :eek: Even the Model S next to it was really toasty! :oops:

Wow, I’m getting spanked for this post on both sites...

YES normally the car does power down after about 15 min. BUT the rear door was open..so the vehicle stayed on.

We were playing around with all the new features. The temp did drop down to around 40 last night so we had the heater on. The SOC I want to say was low around 30%. So the “Keep climate on feature” should have come off at 20%. For everyday use I like to charge to 80% them drive down to 20% before I plug in my wall connector.

I suspect the combination of the upgraded abstract interior lights, radio, heater and not sure what else, staying on contributed to the drain. All because the door was left open.

The whole purpose of the post was to have Tesla incorporate a feature in the app to simply send you a notification if a door was left OPEN in my case or is OPENED to notify a possible theft situation. Bad guys have been breaking the little window in the rear to gain access to the car.

I have read here a happy TESLA is a plugged in TESLA. Maybe I will just keep her plugged in at home now.

You deserve a spankin' for your post. First of all, why is it Tesla's fault that you didn't check your door when you got out? Second, why would you leave your car unplugged when it only had 30% of charge? SMH

• Funny
Reactions: X Fan and skitown
I’m having a difficult time conveying my message. Yes, it was my fault for having a low SOC before this incident. I was in my garage,

However, this is an electric vehicle that I may use to get from point A to B and then back to point A. Lets say once you are at point B the RIGHT rear door is left ajar without being noticed for several hours. Once you return to the vehicle you are stuck because battery is drained,

In an ICE vehicle if you drain your battery fully, you get a jump or if its a manual you push, pop the clutch and go....

If you look at the app, the RIGHT rear door is not visible,,,if you happened to look at it,

To prevent this from happening in the M3 it would be nice to get a notification that a door/window/frunk/trunk was left open or it was opened without your knowledge..thats all I’m trying to convey.

Can someone else test their car and report back here...go in your garage, leave the right rear door ajar..turn on your radio, heater and heated seats then go back inside...check the car in 30 minutes and see if yours shut down. Check the app and see if you can tell the right rear door is open also.

Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
I’m having a difficult time conveying my message. Yes, it was my fault for having a low SOC before this incident. I was in my garage,

However, this is an electric vehicle that I may use to get from point A to B and then back to point A. Lets say once you are at point B the RIGHT rear door is left ajar without being noticed for several hours. Once you return to the vehicle you are stuck because battery is drained,

In an ICE vehicle if you drain your battery fully, you get a jump or if its a manual you push, pop the clutch and go....

If you look at the app, the RIGHT rear door is not visible,,,if you happened to look at it,

To prevent this from happening in the M3 it would be nice to get a notification that a door/window/frunk/trunk was left open or it was opened without your knowledge..thats all I’m trying to convey.

Can someone else test their car and report back here...go in your garage, leave the right rear door ajar..turn on your radio, heater and heated seats then go back inside...check the car in 30 minutes and see if yours shut down. Check the app and see if you can tell the right rear door is open also.

Thanks

My M3s are both at the service center, but I recall Romance Mode heating the cabin after the car “shut down” when 30 minutes had passed. As to doors being ajar, the Stats app has a “door ajar” notification that has saved me a few times.

Thanks

Or you could just accept you own an EV and take that extra second to plug it in always as is strongly suggested in the manual AND set the automatic beep for locking on since you do own young children, who have now demonstrated they might exit the vehicle and not close the door properly.

I’ve never particularly liked going to gas stations to fill my ICE car, or regularly checking the oil, or getting tune ups, or, or, or but it’s all part of owning one.

Reactions: GSP

Thanks
Just tested this exactly as requested. Car shut down after 30 min. It must have been right at, or near the 30 min mark as I checked on it periodically and it was still on around the 25 mark.

In the app, no I could not see that the door was open.

Reactions: Gavyne
All cars do this. If you leave the door open the dome light will drain the 12V battery and you will be unable to start it the next day.

Ive come out to my trunk not closed all the way. Was my mistake. I do not expect them to do anything about it. I didn't close it hard enough. My bad.

Learn from it and don't do it again. Thats what I did.
Did you have to replace the 12v battery as a result?

Thanks

Did you have to replace the 12v battery as a result?

Thanks

Nope. I noticed it was open before I went inside.

I will say something on the dead battery note though. Ive had a car that was involved in an accident. It blew the Pyro fuse so the 12V system died completely about 36 hours later. The car was completely dead for a month. Car came back up fine with no damage to the 12V battery.

I always wait to hear the chime after I leave the car that tells me that the car is locked. Yesterday I left the car full of luggage at a SC for a lunch stop, and when I did not hear it lock, I went back to find a rear door open.