Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery draw rate, effect on longevity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many things can affect the longevity of a batteries capacity. Time, heat, charge cycles, SOC, etc...

I keep hearing people say that frequent high power draw/rapid discharging will also have an effect. The question is, to what extent? Is it a major factor?

Can someone explain to me the technical reason for this? I've heard some claim that it heats up the battery quickly, which of course is a lithium battery killer. But when I had my Nissan Leaf running LeafSpy app, I monitored the battery temperature at 100% load from 0-92MPH (about 20 seconds floored), and it never got hot at all. And this is on a passively cooled battery!... A fast charge or even a hot summer day seemed to have way more of an effect on battery temperature than a high load...

I use full throttle every chance I get and have felt spoiled in knowing Im not hurting anything vs. ICE where your really wearing it out alot faster if you beat on it.

I would also be interested in knowing which factors, in order of importance, are the most detrimental to current battery chemistry. For example Is high heat worse than a prolonged high SOC? etc...

Last edited:
Unless you are racing on the track on a regular basis, I doubt you will find situations where you can max out your battery’s discharge rate (flooring the paddle) for more than say 10 seconds at a time. At least not in North America.

Where were you driving to floor the accelerator for 20s to measure the temps?

The 20 sec at full throttle run was in my Nissan Leaf merging onto an open highway (0-60 alone takes 10 sec...).

I suppose the Leaf motor doesn’t pull nearly as many kW as the Model S so maybe that’s why heating wasn’t too noticeable...

WOT runs long enough to heat core's of cells will have an effect. But I doubt frequent 0-60 runs if they are separated by at least a few minutes will have any effect given the liquid cooling of the pack.

That said do NOT leave range mode on. The car will let the battery heat up during hot weather or frequent acceleration in order to save juice at the expense of battery life.

Keep range mode off unless it's cool and you're driving a constant speed over a long distance and you'll be fine.