Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery life and resale value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have been reading for months how the battery will degrade with time as a criticism of the cars value. My own personal experience after 7 months and nearing 8000 miles I have not lost 1 mile of range. This despite using supercharger on trips and running battery down to less than 5 miles left on two occasions and periodically max charging. I suspect that the often quoted 30% degradation will prove not to be accurate. I would hope that tesla may even make a statement about that soon as they are approaching the year mark of releasing the car. That should improve resale values and stock price

It would be a nice service for tesla to verify the state of the battery when it is time to trade in or sell the car. Otherwise the buyer would have to rely on the seller

There has to be a software solution to this. The guys over in the apps forum may even be able to whip up a web page using the cars API to display that to anyone that visits that page. I would ask the same question over there.

Roadster owners already have a measurement for battery pack health: charge to full (100% range value). I expect Model S owners can do the same.

It's not quite so simple.
In the Model S there is an algorithm that takes a number of things into account. Yes, one of those factors is battery health, but not the only one, even for a full charge.
The best way to test battery degradation, without access to the software diagnostics, would be to do a full charge and then run it on a dynometer to test the range in a controlled environment.

Possible future solution: Drive to the next Tesla Station and enlist for a battery swap. Tesla will contact your car OTA to assess battery health and price the offer based on that. The worse your battery, the more $$ a swap will cost.