TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Battery life and resale value

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Chickenlittle, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Have been reading for months how the battery will degrade with time as a criticism of the cars value. My own personal experience after 7 months and nearing 8000 miles I have not lost 1 mile of range. This despite using supercharger on trips and running battery down to less than 5 miles left on two occasions and periodically max charging. I suspect that the often quoted 30% degradation will prove not to be accurate. I would hope that tesla may even make a statement about that soon as they are approaching the year mark of releasing the car. That should improve resale values and stock price

It would be a nice service for tesla to verify the state of the battery when it is time to trade in or sell the car. Otherwise the buyer would have to rely on the seller

2. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

There has to be a software solution to this. The guys over in the apps forum may even be able to whip up a web page using the cars API to display that to anyone that visits that page. I would ask the same question over there.

3. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Roadster owners already have a measurement for battery pack health: charge to full (100% range value). I expect Model S owners can do the same.

4. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

I asked the question here.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That thread is about software/firmware wishlists.

6. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

It's not quite so simple.
    In the Model S there is an algorithm that takes a number of things into account. Yes, one of those factors is battery health, but not the only one, even for a full charge.
    The best way to test battery degradation, without access to the software diagnostics, would be to do a full charge and then run it on a dynometer to test the range in a controlled environment.

7. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

Yes, the answer to the question could very likely be addressed with software, or even possibly a simple web page that uses the cars built in API to pull some data from the car and run some simple math equations and tell you how healthy the battery is.

8. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Possible future solution: Drive to the next Tesla Station and enlist for a battery swap. Tesla will contact your car OTA to assess battery health and price the offer based on that. The worse your battery, the more $$ a swap will cost.

9. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

I'm looking forward to seeing battery swap get deployed here in LA. I'll be one of the first to try it.