Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Replacement Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a neighbor who purchased a base model S. He told me there will eventually be a battery replacement option so he could technically upgrade his 70 to a 90D or P by switching out the battery. I have never heard of this. Anyone know if it is true?

Elon has indicated that battery upgrade would be possible in the distant future, but there are no specific plans revealed that I know of. Also, to go from a non-P to a P would also require swapping out the rear motor and other components.

It has been mentioned as future possibility. It was also mentioned that it wouldn't be financially reasonable to upgrade in "small steps". It would be too expensive to upgrade annually. I think the price was $20k to upgrade a 60->90 and you had to turn in the old battery.

I have a neighbor who purchased a base model S. He told me there will eventually be a battery replacement option so he could technically upgrade his 70 to a 90D or P by switching out the battery. I have never heard of this. Anyone know if it is true?
Your neighbor may "eventually" be correct but Tesla has not made any such statement. So as of now, it is not true.

I am confident that Tesla will never offer its customers the ability to change a non-Performance model to a Performance model, or change a single motor Tesla to a Dual Motor. But someday it may be possible to buy a new replacement battery that has more capacity than the battery that the car was first sold with.