Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Tech

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neilio

Jul 8, 2020
Brentford
There seems to be a massive discrepancy between other manufacturers vehicle in terms of battery size v range. I know some of this will be down to weight/aerodynamics and some to the power of the motor they are using but I don't think that can explain the he difference between the size of a car battery and it's range. For instance I just found out the BMW i3s has a 135KWh battery which seem massive to me but only returns 173 miles of range. That seems really poor when put up against a Tesla. The iPace isn't quite so extreme but it has the same size battery as a model x long range but just over half the range.

Is there a difference in battery technology between all the cars or is it just down to other factors such as those mentioned above or a car electronic systems using more power?

The reason I ask is, because it doesn't seem important now, an EV is still much cheaper to run than an ICE car. When they become the norm, and people like ionity charge the massive prices they say they will for fast charging, the discrepancy between battery size and range will be a big running cost factor.

BMW i3 doesn't have a 135kWh battery :)

A lot of different efficiencies go together in a tesla. Aerodynamics of body and importantly the wheels, rolling resistance, heater/aircon, regen, extremely efficient motors, ingenious magnet layout in the motors, etc.

BMW i3 doesn't have a 135kWh battery :)

A lot of different efficiencies go together in a tesla. Aerodynamics of body and importantly the wheels, rolling resistance, heater/aircon, regen, extremely efficient motors, ingenious magnet layout in the motors, etc.
Ah I was reading motor power rather than battery size. My bad

looks like other car manafucturers are still catching up the, the iPace does offer much less range for a same size battery. Kia seem to be doing something right. The e Niro has decent range

Tesla do appear ahead on battery tech - particularly with the maxwell method of making them so the initial build charge remians usable. Variations (as I undertsand it) between manufacturers includes cell size, metal or pouch packing and cooling (or not) methods. But essentially all BEV builders buy them in and there is a finite capacity. Tesla has panasonic building them but doubtless will plan to shed panasonic. I doubt there is enough lithium availability for global BEV use so some new techno leap will be needed or hydrogen if sufficient surplus renewable leccy becomes available to compensate for the energy losses.

Reactions: Neilio