Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery's & Audiophiles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were pulling wires and today and wanted to ask if battery powers sinewave is cleaner than grid power? Thanks in advance.
IMG_0294.jpeg

"Cleaner" how?

Here is a report that covers the general testing, including THD;
Measured THD is under 10% of the specification at full load. (THD 1.65%)

If you have trouble with grid power quality, then I suspect there are other issues, either with your local grid, or your equipment. Residential equipment must conform to FCC class B emissions.

Al the best,

BG

Reactions: lodar
I wouldn’t obsess over how rounded grid sine waves are. Who cares when the neighbor’s AC kicks in and the wall power sags?

FWIW… don’t expect audiophile grade power or power response from a Powerwall. It couldn’t keep my networking equipment from rebooting (the one switch not behind a UPS) when taking over from an outage. It will not definitely not be audiophile grade.

If you need clean power, keep dedicated power conditioning equipment close to the equipment that needs it.

Were pulling wires and today and wanted to ask if battery powers sinewave is cleaner than grid power?
I would also add that utilities are starting to use batteries and solar to augment traditional spinning magnets. Both sources are DC and need to be converted to AC. So, your grid power is probably some mish-mash of “perfect sine” + “almost sine”.

Once the power enters your house, after the Powerwalls, it can get mangled by your own noisy equipment.

Thus, your audiophile equipment needs to be directly plugged into any power conditioners you may have. The Powerwalls don’t really factor in at all.

Reactions: BGbreeder and xWren
I would also add that utilities are starting to use batteries and solar to augment traditional spinning magnets. Both sources are DC and need to be converted to AC. So, your grid power is probably some mish-mash of “perfect sine” + “almost sine”.

Once the power enters your house, after the Powerwalls, it can get mangled by your own noisy equipment.

Thus, your audiophile equipment needs to be directly plugged into any power conditioners you may have. The Powerwalls don’t really factor in at all.
I would point out that utility scale AC battery power goes through a few transformers before hitting residential consumers, so "almost sine" is going to be indistinguishable from "pure sine" AC at that point. As you point out, the local effects start to really dominate the issue of power quality.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: lodar and xWren
I would point out that utility scale AC battery power goes through a few transformers before hitting residential consumers, so "almost sine" is going to be indistinguishable from "pure sine" AC at that point. As you point out, the local effects start to really dominate the issue of power quality.

All the best,

BG
I don't get the sound purity obsessiveness of audiophiles, but everyone should have a hobby. I would expect that many that consider themselves true audiophiles would have massive amount of filtering happening between the mains and their equipment to the point where a grid sine wave vs powerwall DC/AC inverted sine wave vs a square wave shouldn't matter.

There was a recent WaPo article on a man named Ken Fritz who purportedly spent $1m (a large portion of that number was unpaid labor of his children) on his audio system and home listening room improvements. The headline is amusing, but the real life impact he had on the family is not.

Reactions: BGbreeder
We have a home theater with pretty high-end gear and run everyday on the Powerwalls during partial peak and peak PG&E rate hours, 3PM until midnight, for obvious reasons. And during that time we watch TV with our JVC 4K projector, 7.2.4 audio setup, listen to music, etc. Not an issue. On occasion, grid power failures when I am trying to save the Powerwalls, we also have to run on a Kohler generator during the evening hours. FWIW, my home theater equipment gets its power via a Panamax Power Management Center (line conditioner). I use that primarily so that my high power amps are turned on well after my Anthem preamp/processor and sources are stable, but I suspect that it also helps with line conditioning, especially when using the generator. Early days, I looked at the Powerball waveform with an oscilloscope and it looked pretty good to me, but didn't measure the % distortion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Electrph
the best stereo I had was in one of my cars. My Acura RLX had a Krell system. Amps and Speakers were Krell and they designed the sound stage. Not sure what the head unit was, but it could play DVD-A DTS 6.1. Not many DVD-As made, but the sound was awesome through the Krell speakers. I used to just sit in the car and play music. I think Acura only used that setup a couple years. I've had decent systems at home, but nothing like the Krell and nothing like audiophile stuff.