Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay area body shop recommendations? Got rear ended.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn, it happened. Luckily damage isn't too serious, but there are holes and paint damage from the other car's front bumper frame, plate, and screws. Look like a repair or replace situation?

Both have pros and cons. Repair, less downtime from not having to replace the HOV stickers (key reason we have this car). Maybe no paint match issues with the body of the car as they would blend out the damage area...unlikely to be the entire bumper.

Replace means peace of mind that any issues with respray, or hole repairs would ever show up down the road. Negative is waiting on HOV stickers and possible paint match issues.

Anyone recommend a good authorized body shop in the south bay? (willing to go further in bay area if worthwhile)

Speaking of those HOV stickers...anyone experience the lead time on those? Im afraid to find out!

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 12.44.45 PM.png

Damn, it happened. Luckily damage isn't too serious, but there are holes and paint damage from the other car's front bumper frame, plate, and screws. Look like a repair or replace situation?

Both have pros and cons. Repair, less downtime from not having to replace the HOV stickers (key reason we have this car). Maybe no paint match issues with the body of the car as they would blend out the damage area...unlikely to be the entire bumper.

Replace means peace of mind that any issues with respray, or hole repairs would ever show up down the road. Negative is waiting on HOV stickers and possible paint match issues.

Anyone recommend a good authorized body shop in the south bay? (willing to go further in bay area if worthwhile)

Speaking of those HOV stickers...anyone experience the lead time on those? Im afraid to find out!

View attachment 430810

I feel for you. Happened to me a year ago with a 9 day old 3. Mine had a damaged sensor, few small chunks out of the bumper and a full imprint of her front licence plate. 4 day repair. Bumper cap was removed, repaired, repainted and reinstalled. They matched the paint perfectly. I think yours should be repairable.

BE583923-32C9-4BB0-9CD5-2C301E05B3DE.jpeg

ED0A733D-E9BF-4B25-8280-DEF5257BC20C.jpeg

After repair (black specks on the closeup of the paint match to the trunk lid are just dirt specks from the drive home):

2837D719-7A81-4C0B-B94D-B7645CA24AD7.jpeg

718AC87E-E051-40D2-A471-B6DBBC839983.jpeg

Reactions: SJC3
That looks great! Glad it worked out for you. I wonder if having actual holes/punctures in the bumper will dictate replace vs repair.

Shouldn’t be an issue. They basically plastic weld any damaged areas and then reshape them. I was impressed they could fill the licence plate imprint. Filling a puncture hole should be no problem. On a previous car I had a torn right through lower air dam lip that they repaired. Easier to work with plastic than metal.
It really all comes down to the shops attention to detail. Good luck!

Service King in Fremont on Solar Way has repaired mine twice (because apparently the rear end of my car is an attractive target). Stellar job both times. I have the multi-coat red and they did perfect color matching and blending. If you look in their lot, they clearly know how to work on Teslas because practice makes perfect.

View attachment 430810
I had exact same issue of being re-ended. Mine was fixed by the Tesla Body shop in San Jose - great job and one day turn around but scheduling was a little long. I understand now rear bumper repair can be done through the regular SC. My recommendation is try and schedule through the app into a regular SC as they have that repair option now. Alternate is go on the Tesla website and look up Body Shops and then call one - they will want the insurance info for the person that hit you. I stayed with the Tesla Body Shop intentionally. I also had a door ding that got fixed by a PDR mobile service that was Tesla recommended after I scheduled with the app - amazing job and their name is DentCraft (Darrell is the owner)

View attachment 430810
You can almost read the license plate of the car that hit you!

And when you finally choose a shop, please let us know the results. I'm also in the South Bay and while I don't yet need that service <knock wood>, it's good to have some yea and nay recommendations.

47C40D07-B310-42A8-B308-D05466F8FFE0.jpeg
Got the car back from Kim’s Auto Body in Santa Clara. Did a great job and no issues underneath so no problem with them not being Tesla authorized (I believe that means they can’t order parts direct).

Last edited: