Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area to Tahoe without stopping in a 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Has anyone made it up from the Bay Area to Tahoe without having to charge? Driving >55mph?
Specifically, I am traveling 176 miles from the east bay to Truckee.
I'm considering a performance AWD, however, this would be the prerequisite for the next Tesla, we have spent wayyyy too much time in Rocklin.
Thanks.

176 miles is doable, even accounting for higher speed and weather. I charge my car to 90% and drive to Fresno without stopping @ 80mph for 183 miles. Just make sure you are able to charge at your destination or have a supercharger near by.

Reactions: P85_DA
Yeah, you are asking a very limited number of people that question. The performance isn't as efficient as the more common RWD.

I have done that trip, I started at home in Alameda, and stopped in Rocklin, sadly before they opened so not a useful toilet break.

I have my car charged up to 93% for TDay and just checked. It shows I would arrive at the Truckee Supercharger with 11% remaining. Often that is conservative. But again, that's a RWD, not AWD. And as Pied said, as winter progresses there will be heater demands and wipers and rain and snow. Probably not gonna want to be on that long Supercharger-free stretch w/o a Plan B.

-Randy

I've done it recently (when it was warmer) starting with a 100% charge. You could probably just about make it, but given the temperature in the Sierras now and the elevation change I would strongly recommend to do a quick charge in Vacaville or Rocklin to have some safety margin.

Hi all,
Has anyone made it up from the Bay Area to Tahoe without having to charge? Driving >55mph?
Specifically, I am traveling 176 miles from the east bay to Truckee.
I'm considering a performance AWD, however, this would be the prerequisite for the next Tesla, we have spent wayyyy too much time in Rocklin.
Thanks.
You say you will be driving greater than 55mph, but since the trip will be almost entirely on freeways, in reality you will likely be going at least 65, right? But many people drive 75 on those freeways. The difference in energy usage between 65 and 75 is significant.

My point is that speed has a major impact on energy usage. That said, the AWD 3 can go over 300 miles on a level road at 60-65mph, so even after allowing for the large elevation gain on that route I think you will be able to make it without charging if you limit your speed to 65. If you want to go over 70 you may not make it, especially in winter time temperatures.

You say you will be driving greater than 55mph, but since the trip will be almost entirely on freeways, in reality you will likely be going at least 65, right? But many people drive 75 on those freeways. The difference in energy usage between 65 and 75 is significant.

My point is that speed has a major impact on energy usage. That said, the AWD 3 can go over 300 miles on a level road at 60-65mph, so even after allowing for the large elevation gain on that route I think you will be able to make it without charging if you limit your speed to 65. If you want to go over 70 you may not make it, especially in winter time temperatures.

Yup, totally agree. I was being slightly facetious about the 55mph. I may even be able to make it with my p90dl X if I drove slow enough.