Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BBC radio after Infotainment upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All. I have my MCU2 upgrade scheduled for this week and am now worried that I may lose the ability to listen to BBC radio stations via tunein after losing the FM/DAB radio.

I currently mostly listen to BBC radio via tunein now, as it tends to be more reliable than the DAB reception, but am concerned that if they change the SIM card as part of the mcu upgrade this will no longer be possible due to the sim being registered in NL or Spain. I already have LTE so maybe they will use my existing SIM card?

Has anyone on this forum had the MCU upgrade and been able to listen to BBC radio stations via tunein since?

I live in France and I'm pretty sure I have the same registered SIM as everyone else in Tesla Europe region. I get R2, R4, R5 and a few other BBC Radio online programs through Tunein without any problem.
Thanks Sparkeur, that is encouraging. I assume you have had the MCU upgrade? I specifically listen to BBC 6 music most of the time so as long as I can still get that via Tunein after the upgrade I shouldn’t need to shell out the £470 for the radio module...

Tends to be more an issue with live sport. If you were a big 5 live cricket fan you might be disappointed, although if you have BBC sounds on your phone and a half decent data plan (not that streamed radio is that hungry) you should be able to do things that way if the worst happens. You can buy a radio update for an extra £450 or so, but that buys you a lot of data.

Tends to be more an issue with live sport. If you were a big 5 live cricket fan you might be disappointed, although if you have BBC sounds on your phone and a half decent data plan (not that streamed radio is that hungry) you should be able to do things that way if the worst happens. You can buy a radio update for an extra £450 or so, but that buys you a lot of data.

+1 for that.

I found that the football commentary was geographically blocked when I tried 5Live via TuneIn. "This broadcast is not available in your country".

Worked fine via DAB of course.

(I've not had the MCU upgrade for this reason - resent paying an extra £470 to get back what I already have.)