Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TuneIn losing BBC stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you use TuneIn over DAB to listen to BBC stations you might have noticed that a message comes over the broadcast every 30 minutes or so saying that the BBC is pulling their streams from TuneIn. This is because TuneIn won't provide the enhanced demographic data of listeners.

In return for this they've thrown their toys out of the pram and are yanking their broadcasts from TuneIn. As a backup you can still use FM or DAB, but BBC streams on TuneIn will stop working in the next couple of months. The BBC want you to switch to their app, which is obviously a non-starter in Teslas.

Maybe I should email Gary.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
This has been going on for many years.

Basically Tunein want people to be able to anonymously listen to content their platform distributes.

The BBC wants to gain analytics of listening patterns of the material that they have produced and own rights. They can do this by asking people to register for their service or for a third party provider to pass this information on.

Tunein refuses to pass this info on.
BBC will not provide TuneIn with their material

Easy fix, Tunein comply with the simple requirements that BBC want, in the same way that many other distributors do without fuss.

I think that about sums it up.

Disclaimer- I’m biased as I am ex BBC

There was a similar spat between the BBC and Google. You can still listen to BBC Radio live on Google speakers, but you can't play catch-up or podcasts.

What always strikes me as bizarre is that there is no way the BBC can tell who's listening live on AM, FM, DAB, Freeview or Satellite who, I would guess, will be the great majority of listeners.

...You can still listen to BBC Radio live on Google speakers, but you can't play catch-up or podcasts.

What always strikes me as bizarre is that there is no way the BBC can tell who's listening live on AM, FM, DAB, Freeview or Satellite who, I would guess, will be the great majority of listeners.

I would think that you have already have answered your question.

AM / FM / DAB / Freeview / Satellite
va
Catchup / Podcasts is what they want to get insight about, just a guess.

If you use TuneIn over DAB to listen to BBC stations you might have noticed that a message comes over the broadcast every 30 minutes or so saying that the BBC is pulling their streams from TuneIn. This is because TuneIn won't provide the enhanced demographic data of listeners.

In return for this they've thrown their toys out of the pram and are yanking their broadcasts from TuneIn. As a backup you can still use FM or DAB, but BBC streams on TuneIn will stop working in the next couple of months. The BBC want you to switch to their app, which is obviously a non-starter in Teslas.

Maybe I should email Gary.
TuneIn is a piece of crap. I used to use it to listen to MSNBC. So many times I lost this signal and I get this msg "the station you are listening to will return shortly. Now I just use tune in on my cell and bluetooth it to the car. Save $9.99/month. All these add ons are like all the streaming services add up.

I’m hoping they fix this as we generally listen to BBC local radio, from another area. (Northampton although we live in the Radio Leeds catchment area). Leeds is far to Woke for me and plays music not to my taste, whereas Northampton (Bernie Keith in particular) does his own thing.

So listening to DAB is not an option.

I could Bluetooth the phone via the BBC app but thats more kerfuffle than is needed - if only TuneIn would get their act together.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I’m hoping they fix this as we generally listen to BBC local radio, from another area. (Northampton although we live in the Radio Leeds catchment area). Leeds is far to Woke for me and plays music not to my taste, whereas Northampton (Bernie Keith in particular) does his own thing.

So listening to DAB is not an option.

I could Bluetooth the phone via the BBC app but thats more kerfuffle than is needed - if only TuneIn would get their act together.
They are NOT going to get their act together. I had this same problem when I had premium service

Reactions: Fat Wolfie