Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC 2015 Clean Energy Vehicle Incentive and a fuelling/charging infrastructure Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if they purposefully omitted Tesla on the list because we're not considered a "Dealership" :wink:

It may actually be something like that:

From the autos.ca article:
As before, the NCDA will administer the program, after $7.5 million in funds were allocated for its reintroduction in last week’s provincial budget by BC’s Liberal government, which will provide discounts right at the dealer level for such green vehicles.

If the dealers' association is looking after this, I doubt they would list Tesla in any of the promotional material. If they had their way, Tesla probably wouldn't even qualify for the program! Fortunately, the government has the final say on that.

Could be something to do with giving incentives for the dealers of all things (like ZEV credits). Could also be they are trying to get the program admins up and running again is taking some time.

I agree on Paul's point. I believe there is quite a lot of leg work needed to get this program up and running again. For example, the CEVforBC.ca website was still up and running a month ago, but has since gone offline 2 weeks ago. I believe they are working things out right now.

@Mayhemm, are we experiencing the same dealers fiasco here in Canada as in the states? I keep hearing about dealers trying to shut Tesla down but not so much here in Canada.

It may actually be something like that:

From the autos.ca article:

If the dealers' association is looking after this, I doubt they would list Tesla in any of the promotional material. If they had their way, Tesla probably wouldn't even qualify for the program! Fortunately, the government has the final say on that.
Tesla is registered as part of The New Car Dealers Association of BC. Tesla is registered for both the service centre and store and you can validate personal at The Motor Vehicle Sales Authority of British Columbia
by looking up Tesla as a dealer.

Somewhere in print recently I read the rumour of the announcement being Apr 1 or later, so, it makes most sense to me the "delay" is merely a budget year thing for the 2015-2016 (Apr-Mar) time period. Or until funds run out, of course. But this is just another guess.

Watch the allocated funds run out in a single month like they did in years previous......
What?
The Clean Energy Vehicle Program was included as part of a $17 million fund in late 2011. That program was set to end on 31 March 2013, but was extended with $2.5 million carried over from the original funding. Eventually funding for that program "reached its budget limit" in February 2014. At the time, the BC government chose not to add funding to the program. The recent announcement amounts to a re-establishment of the program.

New rebates help B.C. drivers plug into clean cars
Clean energy vehicle incentive program extended | BC Newsroom

Announcement will be on Monday. 10.5 million budget to reinstate previous program, but no details if it'll be the same.

- - - Updated - - -

http://globalnews.ca/news/1886407/b-c-government-offers-incentives-to-buy-electric-cars/

“It’s a $10.5 million program,” says Bennett. “It’ll provide some meaningful incentives for people to go and buy electric cars. With the Scrap-It Program, together it’s going to really encourage people to consider an electric car."

$5,000 rebate is back effective April 1, 2015!

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2013-2017/2015MEM0009-000380.htm

CEV for BC website: NCD

New incentive to make clean energy vehicles more affordable

To make clean energy vehicles more affordable and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, the Province will offer incentives of up to $5,000 for the purchase or lease of a new battery electric or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, and up to $6,000 for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, Minister of Energy and Mines Bill Bennett announced today.

When combined with new SCRAP-IT program incentives, total savings could be up to $8,250 for an electric vehicle.

The new incentives are part of Phase 2 of the Clean Energy Vehicle (CEV) Program which starts on April 1, 2015, and will distribute $10.6 million from the Province’s Innovative Clean Energy Fund over the next three years for the following purposes:

$7.5 million for point-of-sale incentives for electric and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.
$1.59 million for investments in charging infrastructure and hydrogen fuelling infrastructure.
$1 million for incentives for commercial fleet purchases of clean energy vehicles.
$500,000 for research, training, and public outreach on clean energy transportation technology.
Today, electric vehicles typically cost about 25% more than non-electric vehicles but can save drivers about 75% on their fuel costs, which adds up to $1,600 per year. The incentives will narrow the price gap and encourage more British Columbians to purchase an electric vehicle.

Most electric vehicles do not have the same range as non-electric vehicles. To make it easier for electric vehicle drivers to “fill the tank,” an analysis will be conducted to identify gaps in the location of charging infrastructure and determine the most effective way to deploy infrastructure funding. This will include looking at issues such as what locations (multi-unit residential buildings, downtown parking areas, shopping centres, etc.) would best support increased use of electric vehicles.

The first phase of the CEV program ran from 2011 to 2014 and helped support the purchase of 950 electric vehicles and the development of over 1,000 charging stations, and resulted in 57,000 tonnes of direct emissions reductions.

The Ministry of Energy and Mines will administer and implement the CEV program through partnerships with the New Car Dealers Association of British Columbia, the Fraser Basin Council, and the Canadian Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Association.

The ICE Fund is designed to support government’s energy and environmental priorities and advance British Columbia’s clean energy sector. It receives funding through a 0.4% levy on the final sale of specified energy products such as natural gas, fuel oil and grid-delivered propane.

Last edited:
You beat me to it Paul! This is exciting news indeed. It will be interesting to see what hydrogen fuel cell vehicle will be on the list. They get an extra $1,000!

$5,000 rebate is back effective April 1, 2005!

I didn't know Tesla's have a time travelling feature :tongue:

I'd say! 15% is a lot. Note: if you trade in a car, you only pay the tax on the net, so savings there can add u ($70k trade in value can save $10,500 in GST/PST.)

Is this still true if you if you put in a larger down payment for the car?

You beat me to it Paul! This is exciting news indeed. It will be interesting to see what hydrogen fuel cell vehicle will be on the list. They get an extra $1,000!

I didn't know Tesla's have a time travelling feature :tongue:

LOL. Fixed the date. So excited its back! This is going to bode well for BC EV sales again.

As far as downpayment, no luck with tax discount I'm afraid.

When I snuck in (Jan 2014) just before the program ran out of funds in Feb 2014, a larger down payment does nothing to taxes, the 15% is calculated on the overall purchase price of the car, possibly less a related trade-in (which Tesla doesn't actually take, but will coordinate through a broker) and of course the EV incentive reduction.

I'll take this opportunity to rant about the luxury tax too -- brought in with much fanfare about gas guzzling SUVs and saving our atmosphere. What a crock.

When I snuck in (Jan 2014) just before the program ran out of funds in Feb 2014, a larger down payment does nothing to taxes, the 15% is calculated on the overall purchase price of the car, possibly less a related trade-in (which Tesla doesn't actually take, but will coordinate through a broker) and of course the EV incentive reduction.

I'll take this opportunity to rant about the luxury tax too -- brought in with much fanfare about gas guzzling SUVs and saving our atmosphere. What a crock.
I think this has changed. When I went to buy my S, they said I could trade in like you and get the 3rd party to evaluate. Last week I went in to look at an inventory P85D and my current S trade in value was quoted almost on the spot by Tesla as part of the new CPO program.

I think this has changed. When I went to buy my S, they said I could trade in like you and get the 3rd party to evaluate. Last week I went in to look at an inventory P85D and my current S trade in value was quoted almost on the spot by Tesla as part of the new CPO program.
Yes this has changed, I am trading in my 2009 Audi TT on a 2015 85D and expect delivery early May. Tesla has given me a quoted trade-in price which I found acceptable.
As well I will save 15% of the trade-in value AND receive the new $5,000 rebate.