Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC Incentive - Applicable for vehicles bought online

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This question pertains to a Model 3, reserved online and not at a dealership.

The BC CEV incentive gives $5k credit for electric vehicles bought at a dealership. The Tesla Model 3 is not on the list yet, and the program many not even exist by the time I get delivery of my Model 3. However, assuming the program still exists and M3 gets added to the list, would I qualify for the Model 3 given that I did not reserve at a dealer?

Any way I can purchase my vehicle through the Vancouver dealership, even though i reserved online?

I'm tempted to cancel my existing reservation, get my refund, and place a new reservation directly with the Vancouver Tesla dealership. Any other suggestions on how to overcome this issue?

This question pertains to a Model 3, reserved online and not at a dealership.

The BC CEV incentive gives $5k credit for electric vehicles bought at a dealership. The Tesla Model 3 is not on the list yet, and the program many not even exist by the time I get delivery of my Model 3. However, assuming the program still exists and M3 gets added to the list, would I qualify for the Model 3 given that I did not reserve at a dealer?

Any way I can purchase my vehicle through the Vancouver dealership, even though i reserved online?

I'm tempted to cancel my existing reservation, get my refund, and place a new reservation directly with the Vancouver Tesla dealership. Any other suggestions on how to overcome this issue?

I strongly suggest you keep your current reservation given the current numbers. I bought my Model S on the website back in 2013 when the incentive was available for Teslas. No problem in getting it.

It's impossible to knowing if the program will still exist when you get your car and how they administer it but I'd be surprised if they see any difference between an online order vs an in person order since this is how Tesla sells its cars.

I was curious about this too, so emailed the BC CEV contact and Tesla Vancouver about it. Replies were:

"Reserving online makes no difference and will not be a problem. As long as you're a BC residence with BC Drivers license you are eligible.

Please keep in mind that new vehicles like the Tesla Model 3 will not become eligible to receive the rebate till closer to its arrival date. Also, as our program is funded on a year to year basis, receiving the rebate is contingent on whether this program receives more funding from the government in the following years.

So unfortunately it is a bit of a waiting game, and there is no guarantee that the program will still be running in time for you to receive the rebate.

Kind regards,

CEVforBC Program Administrator"

- - - -

...we can not say for certain that your Model 3 would qualify for the BC EV incentive in 2017 because legislation can always change. Our Model S used to qualify for this incentive but they changed the legislation this February making cars over $77, 000 ineligible for that incentive. If the Model 3 was released today, it would definitely qualify for the incentive, but we cannot predict what's going to happen in 2017 regarding that incentive.

The reason we have not contacted the Ministry of Transportation regarding the Model 3 is because we do not have a confirmed date for delivery. Our estimate is late 2017. Tesla would most likely contact them closer to that date.

You will not be prevented from the BC EV incentive by booking online rather than in person. Either method is okay.

Regards,
Tesla Vancouver"

It would certainly be nice to qualify for this incentive - hopefully it'll still be around in a couple years. ;)

I too am interested in a slightly different aspect of this. I too reserved a Model 3 online and am glad to hear that if the BC CEV programs continues as it now stands that the purchase would qualify.

I would like some input regarding another BC program that offers incentives for the purchase of electric vehicles. I'm referring to the BC Scrap It program. This program offers $3250 ($3000 from the program and $250 from the participating dealership) for scrapping virtually any vehicle, which is great as it takes ICE vehicles off the road. The list of eligible electric vehicles currently includes the Tesla Roadster, Model S and Model X. Apparently the program only allowed one to scrap vehicles older than 2000, but now allows any model year. My query is that though Tesla vehicles that currently exist are accepted by the program the Vancouver Tesla store is dealership is not participating. According to this page, Tesla has been approached, however Tesla has elected not to participate in the program.

It may seem like a minor thing, but to be able to add to the CEV program with the Scrap-It program (if both still exist when the Model 3 becomes available; which hopefully would be the case) would bring the total incentive up to $8,250 and allow one to retire an old gas guzzler to boot. I'm just hoping Tesla will reconsider their position on this as it seems to be a step in the right direction towards shifting over towards electric cars.

Reactions: Kira and Canuck
Thanks for the awesome news.

Yup, I understand that the program might not even exist when I get my model 3. Given the election cycle, I bet it will be.

Yeah I am really concerned it may not exist by the time 3 comes out.. but then Vancouver is planning to be gas car free by 2050, so while the incentives wont last until 2049, I guess it will be around for a while to accelerate the public adoption of EV's.