Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before I screw up my Model 3 in the car wash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate that: certainly don't want swirls or the like either. Having a shoulder injury that makes washing a literal pain, I've just found a solution that works for me. I'm not here to convince anyone: couldn't care less what other people do... but I do pay attention and find it interesting what other people have gone through with automatic washes. I accept that there are plenty of people who have gotten scratches/swirls after just ONE automatic wash. I can only assume they weren't Tommy Washes or they were improperly maintained, etc.

I can't really say I've been through the wash after a true "mudder" but I have been after some vehicles (police SUVs) that have had visible dirt, and I've not had any issues. If you watch how the wash works, it speeds up the cloth spinners in a rinse spray after each car and basically slings the dirt off before doing the next car. I think they must just be designed properly. I accept that there is higher risk than doing it at home, and some of it isn't necessarily related to the wash: some idiot could panic and run into you, etc. But I've not had a problem and to me, it's worth the small risk.

P.S. After the wash when I'm at the vacuums, it's not uncommon to see Huracans, McLarens, and other high end cars coming out of the wash. Some of them I recognize: I kinda doubt they'd keep coming back if they were getting paint damage each time.

Mike

All totally fair. Some people are just more anal than others at the end of the day. I'm pretty up there on the OCD spectrum. As anal as I am with my car, the rest of my family takes theirs to the automatic car wash all the time. The swirls on their cars don't bother me at all, because I don't look for them.

Tim

I finally have my own driveway now but if I were still living in my old apartment building I’d be looking for this Tommy wash thingy.

I’ve been to so many “Touchless” and hand wash places over the years, and there’s so much noticeable human error, like the guy who dropped the mitt, picked it up again and started “washing” the car in front of me right away.

That’s the one time i drove away in disgust. Most of the time it was smaller things and mostly looking the other way due to lack of choice. Sometimes the worst part was at the end… like shi!tty drying towels that left lint all over the car.

Reactions: ODWms and TBrownTX