Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any recommendations to help make an automated car wash a less stressful experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first time I washed my Model 3, I went to Crew Carwash, a place that mostly does automated car washes, but some locations have interior cleaning and self-wash services. I went through the automated car wash that first time and had 2 problems. 1st was confusion in getting the car into neutral. I’ve got that down now - I think. 2nd was at the end of the wash, I couldn’t get the car to switch back into drive without hitting the brakes which is a problem in an automated car wash and I almost caused a pileup.

I’ve never had any issues with car wash mode. That works fine and I’ve usually, manually rolled up windows and checked all the doors ahead of time.

It’s getting cold outside and I’m not enthusiastic about self-washing at home or otherwise. Any recommendations to help make the automated car wash a less stressful experience would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Look up car wash mode in the service menu and then once in it engage free roll.

As to brakes then changing to drive …well if you almost cause a pile up either the cars are bumper to bumper or you need to learn how to shift gears

The first time I washed my Model 3, I went to Crew Carwash, a place that mostly does automated car washes, but some locations have interior cleaning and self-wash services. I went through the automated car wash that first time and had 2 problems. 1st was confusion in getting the car into neutral. I’ve got that down now - I think. 2nd was at the end of the wash, I couldn’t get the car to switch back into drive without hitting the brakes which is a problem in an automated car wash and I almost caused a pileup.

I’ve never had any issues with car wash mode. That works fine and I’ve usually, manually rolled up windows and checked all the doors ahead of time.

It’s getting cold outside and I’m not enthusiastic about self-washing at home or otherwise. Any recommendations to help make the automated car wash a less stressful experience would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Tesla DOES NOT recommend going though a automatic car wash, There is a car wash mode but it's useless considering Tesla don't want you going through an automatic car wash.

I looked in the manual, and do not see anything at all that says "dont go through an automatic car wash" or " Tesla recommends not using an automatic car wash". The specific part of the model 3 manual that discusses this says:

=============================

CAUTION
If washing in an automatic car wash, use touchless car washes only. These car washes have no parts (brushes, etc.) that touch the surfaces of Model 3. Some touchless car washes use caustic solutions that, over time, can cause discoloration of decorative exterior trim. Avoid exposure to soaps and chemicals above pH 13. If unsure, check the product label or ask the staff at the car wash. Damage caused by improper washing is not covered by the warranty.
CAUTION
If washing in an automatic car wash, make sure the vehicle is locked. In addition, avoid using controls on the touchscreen that can result in accidentally opening doors or trunks while the vehicle is being washed. Any damage caused is not covered by the warranty.
============================

Neither one of those is "Dont use". Also, many of your posts come across as aggressive. This isnt reddit. If you want to point out where in the manual you saw this, please do, but otherwise this will be considered incorrect information.

Dont be an *** man...you are on a public forum where people go to get help and learn more from the same community you are in. Dont want to help, stop commenting. No where in the Tesla Model 3 manual does it say to not use automatic car washes. It simply states they recommend using touchless car washes to protect the paint surface since even they know the paint is as thin and not the best of quality.

To the OP, you do you and use whatever car wash you want. But as others have stated, its best to learn the car wash mode in your own driveway or empty parking lot if thats easier. Its simple to use once you get the hang of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW I did practice at home before going to the wash.

Seems it would be good for me to turn off regen braking and practice switching between D and N. That was the crux of my issue. things didn’t seem to work the same when I was actually in the wash. Maybe it was added anxiety idk.

First time I went through one I realized I didn't know how to shift I to neutral, but not until the guy with the sign was telling "NEUTRAL, NEUTAL!!"... oops. One of the employees reached into my window and schooled me, LOL.

Another time the auto wipers started, and in an attempt to shut them off via the wiper (and with brain fog) I hit the button at the end of the *right* stalk, putting the car into park.

I still don't use carwash mode. Just figured I'd share my mishaps so you don't feel alone. 😜

I’m with you as I had a similar first experience with a car wash I used for over 9 years ;-)

Switching gear to N is just a light shift up or down, I usually use light up shift. At the end of the car wash cycle just lightly press on brakes (it doesn’t slow down the car) and switch to Drive. I always used brushed car washes and will continue to use them. ;-)

Reactions: KerrySkates
Despite wanting a “Car Wash” mode early on and then getting it, I don’t use it. I go to a conveyor-chain, rotating-brushes, cloth mitter curtain carwash in which the car typically goes through the tunnel unoccupied. There is first a wash type selection station, then a vacuum station, the car wash tunnel, then a full interior/exterior wipe down at the end. Since for Teslas and now other EVs someone has to be in the seat to avoid the car automatically going into Park, one of the attendants sits in the car through the tunnel. Given the good number of such cars they wash, this isn’t a problem, but it is an annoyance for them taking a person off the line to just sit in a car.

My process:
  1. Drive up to the pay station. Mirrors automatically fold; I’ve set this as a geolocation so this happens automatically.
  2. Turn wipers off (voice command if it works, manually if not)
  3. Get keycard and leave in driving position near cup holders (Model 3). Tell attendant and point this out so they don’t suck up the keycard at the vacuum station.
  4. Ensure windows are all closed (easy as I rarely ever open passenger windows and the driver window is pretty obvious).
  5. Get ticket printout to take inside to pay.
Could not be much easier, and Car Wash mode doesn’t help much for this scenario. The several other things Car Wash mode does (deactivating Sentry, locking charge port, disabling walk-away door locking, and disabling parking sensors) are really unnecessary given the car is on with an occupant throughout. Car Wash also “Enables Free Roll” something else that is unneeded with an occupant who shifts into Neutral.

You only need to press the brake pedal enough to activate the brake lights. You don't have to press it hard enough to actually apply the brake pads. A little practice and you'll be good to go. I recommend practicing shifting in and out of neutral while descending a highway grade.

Reactions: Prairie
I looked in the manual, and do not see anything at all that says "dont go through an automatic car wash" or " Tesla recommends not using an automatic car wash". The specific part of the model 3 manual that discusses this says:

=============================

CAUTION
If washing in an automatic car wash, use touchless car washes only. These car washes have no parts (brushes, etc.) that touch the surfaces of Model 3. Some touchless car washes use caustic solutions that, over time, can cause discoloration of decorative exterior trim. Avoid exposure to soaps and chemicals above pH 13. If unsure, check the product label or ask the staff at the car wash. Damage caused by improper washing is not covered by the warranty.
CAUTION
If washing in an automatic car wash, make sure the vehicle is locked. In addition, avoid using controls on the touchscreen that can result in accidentally opening doors or trunks while the vehicle is being washed. Any damage caused is not covered by the warranty.
============================

Neither one of those is "Dont use". Also, many of your posts come across as aggressive. This isnt reddit. If you want to point out where in the manual you saw this, please do, but otherwise this will be considered incorrect information.
Yeah, that unwritten, "my service guy said ..." type of thing.

Reactions: Daniel Ruiz