Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before I screw up my Model 3 in the car wash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 for 5 days and it's almost time for its first wash. With my prior three vehicles, I've always used the same carwash: it's a "Tommy Wash" with the conveyor belt. Always done a superb job and I've never gotten as much as a micro-scratch from it. My prior car was a Chevy Bolt so I'm not so much worried about the EV aspect, but I want to make sure I have the routine down for the Model 3. I've read a bunch of threads about putting the car in "roll" mode and not using neutral, turning HVAC and wipers off, folding mirrors, but I want to make sure I have the most recent info.

My plan was to:

(1) Fold mirrors
(2) Turn HVAC off
(3) Turn wipers off
(4) Put car in neutral on the down-slope leading into the wash and enter that way (I've practiced getting into N)
(5) Roll in N onto the conveyor (it's a conveyor for all 4 wheels). When the front wheels hit the conveyor, it'll already be in N.
(6) At the end when the light says "GO", lightly touch the brake and shift to D and lightly touch accelerator to exit.

It's mostly that last step that worries me. Attendants tend to freak out when they see brake lights on the line. Is there a better way to go back into D from N?

Thanks,
Mike
I've been hand washing my cars for the last several years. I use a Spot Free rinse system - we have Very hard well water here, and seems to work pretty well. But I dry it off in the garage right away.

Does the Model 3 have the same black trim discoloration problem that I'm seeing on the Model Y? Just picked up yesterday and am now concerned about using touchless car washes at all. Thanks

I have seen threads on TMC re the discoloration problem on the Model Y trim. I would find out what the black trim on your Model Y is made of. The problems you referenced occur if the trim is made of anodized aluminum and the car is cleaned with a high pH (alkaline) soap. Because touchless car washes do not make any contact, they typically do not clean the car as well. To increase their cleaning ability, touchless car washes typically use high pH soaps. Anodized aluminum should never be exposed to a high pH soap.

Personally, I would never use a touchless car wash. Not only would the high pH soap possibly damage your anodized aluminum trim, it can also degrade or remove car waxes and sealants. If you must use a touchless car wash, I would contact the owner and first find out if they use high pH soaps.

For example, this is copied from a wikihow article on how to clean anodized aluminum:

"Pick a neutral cleaner. The best cleaners for anodized aluminum are in the pH range of six to eight. Seven is neutral (as opposed to acidic or alkaline), so you want cleaners that are close to neutral. Anything too acidic or too basic can damage the surface.[1]"

If you have anodized aluminum trim, as long as you wash your car with a pH neutral soap, your trim should be fine.

I have seen threads on TMC re the discoloration problem on the Model Y trim. I would find out what the black trim on your Model Y is made of. The problems you referenced occur if the trim is made of anodized aluminum and the car is cleaned with a high pH (alkaline) soap. Because touchless car washes do not make any contact, they typically do not clean the car as well. To increase their cleaning ability, touchless car washes typically use high pH soaps. Anodized aluminum should never be exposed to a high pH soap.

Personally, I would never use a touchless car wash. Not only would the high pH soap possibly damage your anodized aluminum trim, it can also degrade or remove car waxes and sealants. If you must use a touchless car wash, I would contact the owner and first find out if they use high pH soaps.

For example, this is copied from a wikihow article on how to clean anodized aluminum:

"Pick a neutral cleaner. The best cleaners for anodized aluminum are in the pH range of six to eight. Seven is neutral (as opposed to acidic or alkaline), so you want cleaners that are close to neutral. Anything too acidic or too basic can damage the surface.[1]"

If you have anodized aluminum trim, as long as you wash your car with a pH neutral soap, your trim should be fine.
Well I just picked up my 2021 M3 so it obv has the blacked out trim. Based on your comment I’m assuming it’s anodized aluminum.

My chemical guys order will be here this week, this was just more of a “I should never take it through a touchless car wash even in the winter“ question

Well I just picked up my 2021 M3 so it obv has the blacked out trim. Based on your comment I’m assuming it’s anodized aluminum.

My chemical guys order will be here this week, this was just more of a “I should never take it through a touchless car wash even in the winter“ question

I don't live in an area with cold or snowy winters, so I can't speak from personal experience. Of course, road salt and brine can damage paint too. For winter washes, I would find a way to wash off the salt and brine that uses a pH neutral soap. If you can find a touchless car wash where you can skip the high pH soap, that would be fine.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
@MikeyC How's your experience with the Tommy Wash system going? I'm located in Winnipeg, Canada and we have a "Tommy Wash System" here at Northern Lights Car Wash. I want to use it since I used it before on my last car (Honda Civic) and didn't see any problems but I'm scared of issues with the new Tesla (scratches). If I go forward with it I would get the membership which is about $60 CDN/month and go very often. Any words of advice? How's using "car wash mode"? Also, which year of the Model 3 do you have? I've read the 2021 black trim can get wonky because of high PH content. Have you had any problems with that?

@MikeyC How's your experience with the Tommy Wash system going? I'm located in Winnipeg, Canada and we have a "Tommy Wash System" here at Northern Lights Car Wash. I want to use it since I used it before on my last car (Honda Civic) and didn't see any problems but I'm scared of issues with the new Tesla (scratches). If I go forward with it I would get the membership which is about $60 CDN/month and go very often. Any words of advice? How's using "car wash mode"? Also, which year of the Model 3 do you have? I've read the 2021 black trim can get wonky because of high PH content. Have you had any problems with that?

Still a member. I've used it about a dozen times and so far, I'm unable to detect a single microscratch. And believe me, I've looked. With a flashlight. In sunlight. It simply does not scratch my car. No problems with the trim either. I have a 2021 Model 3.

I tried car wash mode but I don't like it. It's more difficult than not using car wash mode to get back in D at the end of the conveyor. I find it easier to put the car in Roll mode, turn off HVAC, and turn off the wipers. Those are the only things I need to do; the mirrors auto-fold at that location. Some of the things that car wash mode touts are not even necessary. For example, locking the charge port door... you don't need that: you can't open the charge port door anyway while the car is in neutral. Parking assist chimes: never heard one while in N. Same with the "Sentry mode off" feature. Sentry mode doesn't work in N anyway so another useless feature. As useless as turning off "walk away door locks": you're not going to "walk away" while on the conveyor belt. :D

What they really need is a button to put the car in D at the end of the wash without having to step on the brake. If it had that, I'd use it!

Mike

I admit hand washing would be ideal and I did that all my life until I found this car wash. It can do in 3 minutes what it takes me 45 minutes to do and it does as good a job as I can, at least to 95%. Add maybe 5 minutes to that 3 minutes to wipe down places that don't get dry like inside the doors, around the rear hatch, etc. My problem is I live in an area that has love bugs for 5 weeks straight twice a year and if you don't get them off within a couple hours, they etch the paint. So having a reliable and safe car wash is a big plus. Add to that the fact that in the summer, we have thunderstorms almost every day, and I just had to find a non-manual way. I won't even go into all the towns I drive through using their sprinklers mid day to "water down" the streets. It's just too much for this 54 year old to keep up with and have a clean car.

Edit: I have a subscription to the car wash: $30/mo and I can go through there as many times as I like. I've used it on my 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT (black), a Chevy Volt, and a Chevy Bolt. Never had anything but great results with no issues. Worst thing that ever happened is it would sometimes push my passenger side mirror in and I'd have to get out and pop it back forward.

Mike
What kind of wash is it? Brushless but with cloth cleaners, or what? I'm getting a Model 3 soon, and want to know why I shouldn't just take it to the good brushless but cloth car wash that's never laid a scratch on any prior car I've had.

What kind of wash is it? Brushless but with cloth cleaners, or what? I'm getting a Model 3 soon, and want to know why I shouldn't just take it to the good brushless but cloth car wash that's never laid a scratch on any prior car I've had.
People like candle will tell you that Tesla paint is unacceptably softer than any other manufacturer's paint. Most of these statements come from those with pecuniary interests in hand detailing.

I really like keeping my cars clean and had them wrapped up fully in PPF so I can clean them however I’d like. In retrospect, it’s kind of dumb when ultimately they’re just appliances. I have no judgement towards how other Tesla owners wash their cars.

This is an even more futile effort if you live in an area with a lot of Tesla vehicles. Your car is not special and no one will care that yours has less paint swirls than the other Teslas next to you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I live in the northeast of the US, in the spring, summer and fall I wash and detail my cars in my driveway. In the winter, our water is turned off so I cannot hand wash the car at my home. I don’t like auto car washes, personally I do not like waiting on the line. I just started using a self-service car wash. I watched a lot of YouTube videos on how to do it and have my own method now. If you do not want to wax/silicone the car, I can do the whole job in 5 minutes, that is $5.00. I first started not using the foam/brush because I was concerned it would scratch and live swirls, etc but the place I go to has a power soap setting on the wand bit the trouble is no soap comes out of it. So I do use the brush and no swirls. I used the power washed for a few seconds to rinse it off and then wait for enough soap to come out, tap it gently on the floor and begin using it. No swirls or marks, then I power rinse the car. Note, I do use the power wash quickly to get off some dirt and grime, then the soap brush, then the power rinse, and I am done. It has been a little cold here, I bring rubber gloves and I bring my microfibre towels to dry the car. You can take your rubber mats outs at the beginning and wash them off. When I get home I vacuum the car and wipe the dashboard with a towel. The windows will come out a little streaky so when I get home I use a window glass cleaner. Done. $5.00 and my time.