Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Being stationed in Bahrain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I’m being stationed in Bahrain and I’m planning to bring my US Tesla with me for the short time I’m stationed there. I setup a Sevice appointment to talk to Tesla about me bringing my car and the biggest thing they told me was they were worried about the fact that I may not be able to get Tesla software updates when I’m there. My question for this board is, does anyone know if I can use a VPN to get software updates to the car?

—Lex

If you have a wifi connection on the car through a VPN and it "thinks' it's in the US, then yes, it should update via wifi. The trouble might occur if it has a local cellular data connection at the same time, you might have to make sure you are someplace without the cell connection to work. Have I tried it in Bahrain? No... but theoretically it should work.

Hey guys,

I’m being stationed in Bahrain and I’m planning to bring my US Tesla with me for the short time I’m stationed there. I setup a Sevice appointment to talk to Tesla about me bringing my car and the biggest thing they told me was they were worried about the fact that I may not be able to get Tesla software updates when I’m there. My question for this board is, does anyone know if I can use a VPN to get software updates to the car?

—Lex

It's not really the software updates, I don't think, it's probably the notifications. The onboard cellular is going to be the issue. It won't have any connectivity available.

Hey guys,

—Lex

About to also be stationed in Bahrain, was bringing your Tesla even worth all the effort and hassle?

Did you get to Bahrain yet? I’m also getting stationed there and thought about bringing mine but I know they don’t have super chargers and just worried about having to charge it there plus not knowing how it will do in that heat was there from 2019-2022 and hottest I seen was 129 degrees