Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Benefits to Delayed Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parcel shelf? I remove them as soon as I get a car.

Benefits to a delay, improvements in battery tech/material, although it’s still early for tab less production as it requires factory retooling(?). The new batteries coming out of Austin are with staff and I’ll doubt they go into general production for some time until they’re proven.

If I want better tech I’ll need to order a MX but I hate the gull wing doors after having a loaner for 5 days. Remove them and I’ll order it! If only the S was big enough for my dog. But MX and S will be a long wait.

I’ve ordered the MYP as it ‘may’ come with something different by the time I take delivery. If it doesn’t and/or the competition comes out with something better - Polestar 3 perhaps? - I’ll cancel as SUC (opening up) and IONITY are becoming more common.

If I want better tech I’ll need to order a MX but I hate the gull wing doors after having a loaner for 5 days. Remove them and I’ll order it! If only the S was big enough for my dog. But MX and S will be a long wait.
The X is not better tech. It's still outdated manufacturing process and the tech is at least one generation behind Model Y in terms of what you can't see. Two generations behind on battery cells, still can't supercharge as fast as 3/Y, and as far as I can tell Tesla did nothing to update the reliability of those damn doors and the seals which crumble after only a few years.

The X is not better tech. It's still outdated manufacturing process and the tech is at least one generation behind Model Y in terms of what you can't see. Two generations behind on battery cells, still can't supercharge as fast as 3/Y, and as far as I can tell Tesla did nothing to update the reliability of those damn doors and the seals which crumble after only a few years.
I did not know that! I assumed as it was more expensive it would have some extra features.

Thanks for sharing. I’ll keep my MYP order running.

I own a December 2021 model Y LR made in Shanghai, last month I test drove a Berlin-built Y Performance. My car is on 19” gemini wheels and the ride is horrible and crashy. To my surprise, even though the Performance model is on 21” uberturbines, the ride is noticeably better. As a result, I ordered the Performance Y straight away.

I own a December 2021 model Y LR made in Shanghai, last month I test drove a Berlin-built Y Performance. My car is on 19” gemini wheels and the ride is horrible and crashy. To my surprise, even though the Performance model is on 21” uberturbines, the ride is noticeably better. As a result, I ordered the Performance Y straight away.
Did you drive them back to back on same stretch of road? Same tyre pressures?

Many reports of the same on YouTube. I hope Shanghai get the same parts before they build my MYLR.

"In addition, as per company sources, mass production of the 4.0 camera modules will start as early as July."

Wonder if these will feature in any of the Q3 cars for the UK.
Hopefully that may also save battery drainage somehow in sentry mode! It still amazes me how of an afternoon 4/5% can drain!

Hopefully that may also save battery drainage somehow in sentry mode! It still amazes me how of an afternoon 4/5% can drain!
I don't think putting higher res cameras on the car is going to reduce the impact of Sentry.
The issue with Sentry is that the full, very powerful, FSD computer is powered up the whole time to run Sentry and that draws a lot of power. Changing the cameras for higher res ones will at best make no difference I would think.
The only thing that will improve Sentry power use is to add a second lower power co-processor to handle sentry thereby allowing the main computer to sleep. Given that Sentry constantly monitors 4 cameras it is unclear to me exactly how much processing power is needed for that but it seems like something a modern smartphone processor ought to be able to handle and they use very little power so I think it could be done if the will was there.

I don't think putting higher res cameras on the car is going to reduce the impact of Sentry.
The issue with Sentry is that the full, very powerful, FSD computer is powered up the whole time to run Sentry and that draws a lot of power. Changing the cameras for higher res ones will at best make no difference I would think.
The only thing that will improve Sentry power use is to add a second lower power co-processor to handle sentry thereby allowing the main computer to sleep. Given that Sentry constantly monitors 4 cameras it is unclear to me exactly how much processing power is needed for that but it seems like something a modern smartphone processor ought to be able to handle and they use very little power so I think it could be done if the will was there.
Exactly what I was going to say. It's like when mobile phones started having dedicated audio processors to stop music listening draining your battery as much. Then dedicated AI processors. It wouldn't be an unknown to design a sentry sub-processing system but it would be an extra cost that it doesn't seem like they would want to spend their time/money on at the moment when their focus is elsewhere.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Exactly what I was going to say. It's like when mobile phones started having dedicated audio processors to stop music listening draining your battery as much. Then dedicated AI processors. It wouldn't be an unknown to design a sentry sub-processing system but it would be an extra cost that it doesn't seem like they would want to spend their time/money on at the moment when their focus is elsewhere.
Once they finish the last couple of outstanding details on FSD they will get right on it I expect.