Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bent rim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In August 2018 I hit a pothole hard. I inspected the outside of the tire and the wheel and everything seemed fine. Today, while swapping back to summer wheels I noticed the rims were bent, one very slightly and the other noticeable:

IMG_0336.jpg
IMG_0337.jpg

I've unknowingly driven on them for ~5000 miles with no noticeable issues. They were stored in my garage for 4 months without losing any air.

My question is: is this something I should get fixed ASAP? Is it safe to drive on for now? TIA.

Well, you drove on them for 5k miles without incident, I'd hazard a guess that you'd be good for at least another 5k of similar driving environment. Except don't hit another pothole that caused your initial problems.

Having said that, now that you know about it, you'll surely will have problems. :(
Sometimes ignorance is bless. :)

They also looked to be fairly easy to fix for a wheel shop, cheaper than new wheels.

You can get this repaired for like $50-$175 depending on the shop. But then again you can't drive your car meanwhile. I was in the same situation recently, but I had two sets of rims to switch between. Since I'm on to the new set and got the previous set repaired, if anyone wants to buy a used 20" rim with dings and scratches, feel free to PM me.

The 20s easily bend and possibly the 19s as well. I had 19s on my previous C300 and both front wheels were constantly getting bent. It's fine to drive on them but you'll get some vibrations and uneven tire wear. I had mine repaired at the dealership for about $200 per wheel and they were good as new again.