Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having noticed a very slight vibration at 50mph+ from the front end of the wife's 2022 M3P (which felt like a balance issue) the past couple of weeks, I thought I'd do some investigating this morning while also taking the opportunity to rotate the tires (front to rear, rear to front). After getting the wheels off I discovered (to my dread) both nearside uberturbines have visible (but still relatively minor) pothole damage to the inside rims and look ever-so-slightly out of round at the point of contact. :oops:

So, the question is, has anyone else had their uberturbines straightened after hitting a pothole and have they encountered any long-term issues with the wheel/s? Also, anyone got any ideas re- aftermarket alloys that are stronger/more reliable, as another potential option? If both wheels can't be fixed for whatever reason, I'd rather consider dropping a couple of grand on a set of aftermarkets than be forced to replace two uberturbines like for like, especially given their apparent dislike for potholes (and yes, I appreciate the whole argument against putting 20" alloys and 35 profile tires on a 2 tonne EV, so please don't go there) 🫣

If you want something stronger that doesn't impact weight/range then you need to be looking at forged rims. Cast rims cannot handle pothole abuse with low profile tyres.
Yeah, this was what I was thinking if I have to replace them, and especially if it's going to keep happening, given the state of roads around where we live. Can't seem to find a set of forged 20" rims for less than £5-6k though :confused:

Having noticed a very slight vibration at 50mph+ from the front end of the wife's 2022 M3P (which felt like a balance issue) the past couple of weeks, I thought I'd do some investigating this morning while also taking the opportunity to rotate the tires (front to rear, rear to front). After getting the wheels off I discovered (to my dread) both nearside uberturbines have visible (but still relatively minor) pothole damage to the inside rims and look ever-so-slightly out of round at the point of contact. :oops:

So, the question is, has anyone else had their uberturbines straightened after hitting a pothole and have they encountered any long-term issues with the wheel/s? Also, anyone got any ideas re- aftermarket alloys that are stronger/more reliable, as another potential option? If both wheels can't be fixed for whatever reason, I'd rather consider dropping a couple of grand on a set of aftermarkets than be forced to replace two uberturbines like for like, especially given their apparent dislike for potholes (and yes, I appreciate the whole argument against putting 20" alloys and 35 profile tires on a 2 tonne EV, so please don't go there) 🫣
I had my two nearside ones straightened in March after pothole damage - £80 + VAT each.

Reactions: Aza75
My ICE hit a huge (camouflaged as a puddle) pothole a couple of years back. I could feel it so got car basic tracking checked during service but all was straight. Then took it to a tyre centre who found the rim a bit buckled - about cm side to side. They recommended a local wheel straightening place at around £80 but you lose car for the day and lots of caveats that they might ruin wheel so had to work around that. In interim I swapped front buckled to rear and it was much better so put off wheel straightening until I booked it in for new tyres - same place that found the buckle. Mentioned it to them and they said that they would see any problem damage and if it could be balanced out during tyre change which they managed. Not perfect solution but can no longer feel it so cancelled wheel straightening that I had booked it in for.

tl;dr see what a good local Indy tyre garage say on the matter.

My ICE hit a huge (camouflaged as a puddle) pothole a couple of years back. I could feel it so got car basic tracking checked during service but all was straight. Then took it to a tyre centre who found the rim a bit buckled - about cm side to side. They recommended a local wheel straightening place at around £80 but you lose car for the day and lots of caveats that they might ruin wheel so had to work around that. In interim I swapped front buckled to rear and it was much better so put off wheel straightening until I booked it in for new tyres - same place that found the buckle. Mentioned it to them and they said that they would see any problem damage and if it could be balanced out during tyre change which they managed. Not perfect solution but can no longer feel it so cancelled wheel straightening that I had booked it in for.

tl;dr see what a good local Indy tyre garage say on the matter.
yeah, I think I'll take both off again and drop them in for inspection and see what can be done. The car's only done 8,000 miles which doesn't bode well for their longevity

Yeah, this was what I was thinking if I have to replace them, and especially if it's going to keep happening, given the state of roads around where we live. Can't seem to find a set of forged 20" rims for less than £5-6k though :confused:
You could try the half way house of flow formed rims. @spon88 got some Tsportline rims for his MYP, although he also dropped down in size.

Whether they would be strong enough to withstand the impact your OEM wheels were damaged by is impossible to say.

You could try the half way house of flow formed rims. @spon88 got some Tsportline rims for his MYP, although he also dropped down in size.

Whether they would be strong enough to withstand the impact your OEM wheels were damaged by is impossible to say.
Yes, been pleased with the TSportline although, as you mentioned, I dropped to 19s as I just couldn't face the (near) inevitable pothole damage with the OEM 21s on the MYP. I think they look good too. I also ran after market 18s on an M3P for 3 years with zero issues - in fact they're for sale (pristine) if anyone wants them. Still got around 6-7k miles left on Michelin CC+. Price on request.
Here are the 19s on the MYP:

IMG20230217134618.jpg

Yes, been pleased with the TSportline although, as you mentioned, I dropped to 19s as I just couldn't face the (near) inevitable pothole damage with the OEM 21s on the MYP. I think they look good too. I also ran after market 18s on an M3P for 3 years with zero issues - in fact they're for sale (pristine) if anyone wants them. Still got around 6-7k miles left on Michelin CC+. Price on request.
Here are the 19s on the MYP:

View attachment 972912
These look great! Have you noticed any major improvement in terms of ride? You can hardly notice the drop from 20" to 19" here

These look great! Have you noticed any major improvement in terms of ride? You can hardly notice the drop from 20" to 19" here
Definitely more compliant over slightly rough surfaces. Not really noticed any noise differences - those are Pirelli Scorpion SF2 all season tyres, work very nicely with those rims. I like them because they look very much like the OEM turbines - but not made from cheese. The OEMs are in a wheel rack in my garage, barely used.

There is a nasty shipping and import cost from TSportline as standard but I was able to negotiate a significant reduction on the shipping via email. Like a couple of hundred quid. The rims arrived in just over four days via FedEx from California - pretty amazing.

Seems a pretty common occurrence with these alloys - such a pain in the arse, though. The wife swears she doesn't even remember hitting anything, which is a worry
They are well known for it and litterally the main reason I chose to get an LR rather than an M3P back in 2019 when the price difference was only about 5K but I knew they would not survive my long rural commute.