Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Berowra Tennis Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great to see more chargers, particularly in what is a blackspot, and an interesting source of funding.
The Arena map for Sydney under Suburban funding cuts off at roughly Hornsby.
The nearby Ampol would be a better location.

Not too far off the highway, but it's very much a residential area, and it's an unmarked road into the tennis club, and limited facilities.

Personally would have though a few AC chargers would be a better fit for the club's members who are likely to spend a few hours playing tennis, but won't complain about DC in that area.

Reactions: Hungry Mile
Personally would have though a few AC chargers would be a better fit for the club's members who are likely to spend a few hours playing tennis, but won't complain about DC in that area.
It doesn't actually say much in writing about the charger - there's a Tritium DC unit in the pictures but that could just be the 3D model the draftsperson had handy for "EV charger".

Someone put a photo of the charger on Plugshare. What sort does it look like?
1032644.jpg

It's definitely a Tritium.
Most likely an RTM75 (albeit there is little difference to the new PKM series but you wouldn't use that for a single stall)

Interestingly looks like it's got dual CCS2 handles (no CHAdeMO).
And I think it looks like Chargefox ID (top right) and instruction (mid-left) stickers.

Reactions: Chuq and cafz
It's definitely a Tritium.
Most likely an RTM75 (albeit there is little difference to the new PKM series but you wouldn't use that for a single stall)

Interestingly looks like it's got dual CCS2 handles (no CHAdeMO).
And I think it looks like Chargefox ID (top right) and instruction (mid-left) stickers.
While you say that you would not use a PKM150 in a single stall, that is exactly what BP Pulse is doing, at least at their Victorian sites, so that they can easily grow sites as more demand and more chargers become available. Just beef up the number of 950V DC modules in the accompanying cabinet and you are ready to rock.

Theoretically the architecture of the PKM series should be a lot more redundant and reliable than the old RTM gear, as well, but only time will tell.

Reactions: cafz
Theoretically the architecture of the PKM series should be a lot more redundant and reliable than the old RTM gear, as well, but only time will tell.
Without knowing which parts tend to break in the Tritium hard to say.

The PKM also needs more space as you've got the separate box with the rectifier AC-DC units.

At least some issues seem to be with the modems, which are probably the same across the models.

It's similar to the way V3 superchargers work.
Yes and no. My understanding of Superchargers is that they have bugger all in the pillars themselves, with all power electronics in the associated cabinet. They definitely have power sharing though, in units of 3 in Australia at least. While they are delivering DC to the pillar, there is no "DC Microgrid" like the Tritium PKM uses.

With the PKM architecture you could theoretically have 4 pillars with single 25kW charging modules in them with 100kW worth of DC supply in the big cabinet (which would be kind of dumb, but perhaps might make sense in some case).

At least some issues seem to be with the modems, which are probably the same across the models.
And there you have the advantage of the Tesla approach really. For Teslas at least, they just need to verify that the VIN presented by the car is a valid Tesla VIN and then they can authorise charging. Even if the network is down, the message can be queued up and sent later. If they miss billing a charge session, it is no big deal as long as the customer was able to charge.

And one already whinging about it power sharing and one saying it is 25 kW per plug?
Even if it is when you are sharing, considering this is a tennis club and your usual visit length will be at least an hour for a game and a bit of a cool down afterwards, 25kW will give a model 3 around 160km of charging. When I was on my recent trip to Uluru, I would have crawled over broken glass to get to a 25kW charger.

Even if it is when you are sharing, considering this is a tennis club and your usual visit length will be at least an hour for a game and a bit of a cool down afterwards, 25kW will give a model 3 around 160km of charging. When I was on my recent trip to Uluru, I would have crawled over broken glass to get to a 25kW charger.
I think most users of this charger won't be playing tennis. It is in a charging deadzone, very close to the freeway