Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Dashcam for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing to note, the Blackvue 900 camera accepts a 12V input which is available from multiple locations on the car. Other cameras, for instance the Viofo A119 that I use, require a 12V to 5V converter to USB. It's not a huge deal but the space behind the mic panel is pretty tight and i had to clip and splice to make the wiring fit. All of this only matters if you plan to hardwire.

Mine failed again - Blackvue 900. First time was a few months ago, it just stopped turning on. Sent it in for RMA which took over a month, got it back. Worked for a few months, then the rear stopped working. I tried formatting/updating the firmware on the SD card then the front stopped working too. Same distributor as above. I'll 100% never buy Blackvue again.

yep these high[er] end dashcams have a high failure rate.
my beater car is still rocking the G1W, 7th year in and no issues at all.
I have a A119 in spouse's car, 2nd year - no issues
I myself run 2 A119s in my MS, no issues.
more complex a cam = higher failure rate.

I feel a thing such as dashcam needs to be as simple as it can be, to minimize failure rate and avoid time spent on de-installation and reinstallation - additional cost of headache [YMMV]
if I am in space, I ll take a simple #2 pencil to write than a super hiFi multimillion $ antigravity pen, that is cloud connected, w/ auto back up, WiFI etc etc but that is just me

Obviously, there are many ways to define best, judging from the opinions here.

Owl is different because it comes with built-in cellular with on board storage and no need for an SD card. The mobile app is well maintained and you can always check the app for clips or your car's location on a map (which is more useful for non-Teslas). Or get a live view from the camera remotely. Self-install is simple with a connection to the OBD port. Firmware is auto-updated OTA. While not perfect, it is very convenient because you don't have to worry about SD cards, a separate cellular device and its data plan. The app supports multiple cars/devices.

No offense but all those cameras look like generic junk.

The IRO dashcam is the nicest one since it's actually made for the car, is easy to install, and looks OEM.

I totally agree with this; to me having the camera be inconspicuous is the main thing. I have have the iro, and the camera is virtually invisible. I'm no expert, but the video quality seems just fine. Oh, and I set mine up with full-time power, so it's recording even when parked (psuedo sentry mode).

I think the most important thing to note is that any dashcam is better than no dashcam. I went with two cheap Chinese models that are basically produced and then sold by multiple "brands" but are essentially the same cheap camera system. I put one in the front window and one in the back. They do 90% of what Blackview cameras do but combined cost less than 20% of the Blackview. One hit and run in the parking lot at work and they paid for themselves multiple times over. "Minor" damage to the front quarter panel that totaled over $3K to repair, all paid by the other driver's insurance. All video is compressed from every dashcam out there, sometimes to frustrating levels. The cheapest is not that much different than the expensive. Don't be too impressed with resolution claims. With compression, it is far worse than you would expect. Frame rate probably matters more when trying to read a license plate, etc.

Anybody here has tried the Aukey? they have great reviews in amazon
yes, they are heavily and aggressively promoted via amazon and certain 'deal' sites.
Quality is 3/5 on image / videos esp night video, though they really stand behind their product and honor warranty to the letter, will replace if the item fails.
I still feel the A119v2 is a better option, and rather than get a 2 channel cam, I run the 2 of the same A119v2 front & back. I do lose on the 'sync'ed' video in a single channel, but I gain on the quality of the video both front and back than having a compromised video at the rear. you Though in the US, in case you are rear ended, the law almost always will side with you.
my $0.02

yes, they are heavily and aggressively promoted via amazon and certain 'deal' sites.
Quality is 3/5 on image / videos esp night video, though they really stand behind their product and honor warranty to the letter, will replace if the item fails.
I still feel the A119v2 is a better option, and rather than get a 2 channel cam, I run the 2 of the same A119v2 front & back. I do lose on the 'sync'ed' video in a single channel, but I gain on the quality of the video both front and back than having a compromised video at the rear. you Though in the US, in case you are rear ended, the law almost always will side with you.
my $0.02

Thanks iCharge for your feedback, will you mind posting a pic of the a119 on the rear window? My only concern is that I feel the hatchback has already a limited window view and I dont want to make it even smaller with a bulky cam. Thanks!!

Which dashcam should be used if power source is from the behind the microphone panel? Some camera seem to continuously recording since the power source doesn't shut off. I only want it to record on motion only.
The camera brand / type does NOT decide if it records while in motion or all the time 24x7.
Availability of power decides that which in turn is decided by the user / installer, so if you are hooking to always on power = it'll record 24x7 till the battery runs out unless you have a battery discharge protector installed, OTOH if you hook it to power wire that is live only when the car is 'on/driving' then it records in that situation only.
all dashcams now a days come with software that they start recording within a few seconds of their booting up automatically without having to do anything.

I was planning on ordering the Thinkware F200 and using the power behind the Mic, but then I am thinking about how does it power off? I don't care about recording when I am parked, just when I drive. Can it detect motion and start recording? I don't want to have to press a button every time I drive.

Obviously, there are many ways to define best, judging from the opinions here.

Owl is different because it comes with built-in cellular with on board storage and no need for an SD card. The mobile app is well maintained and you can always check the app for clips or your car's location on a map (which is more useful for non-Teslas). Or get a live view from the camera remotely. Self-install is simple with a connection to the OBD port. Firmware is auto-updated OTA. While not perfect, it is very convenient because you don't have to worry about SD cards, a separate cellular device and its data plan. The app supports multiple cars/devices.

My experience with Owl had been identical to SilkySmooth's post...easy to self install (and/or move if necessary), great quality, good phone access etc. I recommend it.

I was planning on ordering the Thinkware F200 and using the power behind the Mic, but then I am thinking about how does it power off? I don't care about recording when I am parked, just when I drive. Can it detect motion and start recording? I don't want to have to press a button every time I drive.
in that case, you might want to hook it to a power source that comes on when the car turns on.

Novice here regarding dash cams, the IRO certainly looks very interesting including its ease of installation, however, I assume by looking at the website it does not offer any rearview capability. Is that correct?

My biggest issue with the ORO is not sure how good the night vision capability is and it can't do 4K. If it can do 4K and has great night vision performance with easily accessing cllips from the phone, along with robust parking mode support, it's a nobrainer. Does anyone have a detailed comparison between IRO and the latest/best offering by Blackvue?

Before anyone tells me you don't need 4K for a DashCam, if I am depending on the BlackVue, it is because I need greater clarity than what TeslaCam offers and I want as many pixels as possible for deciphering a license plate.