Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S dashcam install (where to connect?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to install a Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro 3 dashcam in my 2023 Model S. In the older S's you could tap into the "12v" connection in the ceiling close to the mirror (there was a free cable you could connect to). The area of the ceiling doesn't exist on the new models. I've search this forum and Youtube, but have come across instructions for how to install a dashcam in a recent model. Has anyone done it? Do you know of instructions?

I started to pry away the cover of the camera cluster / rear view mirror housing, and it snaps open but doesn't come off easily so I left it and went to ask you all for instructions.

I'm going to install a Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro 3 dashcam in my 2023 Model S. In the older S's you could tap into the "12v" connection in the ceiling close to the mirror (there was a free cable you could connect to). The area of the ceiling doesn't exist on the new models. I've search this forum and Youtube, but have come across instructions for how to install a dashcam in a recent model. Has anyone done it? Do you know of instructions?

I started to pry away the cover of the camera cluster / rear view mirror housing, and it snaps open but doesn't come off easily so I left it and went to ask you all for instructions.
Older S/X have obd2 that I plug in for continous 12V.

Does your 2023 S have one?

I would rather ask why you need a dash cam in your S. Does it give you more than you already have?
Like most features in Tesla, its Tesla Cam is beta, not a proven consumer-quality product.

Some owners couldn't find important footages at the most critical time.

Commercial dashcams are consumer-quality and predictable. It just records and there’s no need to fear that critical footages are missing.

In addition, some prefer audio recording as well. It records the sound of autopilot on/off...

Older S/X have obd2 that I plug in for continous 12V.

Does your 2023 S have one?
Yes, ODB-II is required for all cars sold in the US. But the 2021+ Model S doesn't have continuous "12V" via the ODB port. I found this from TeslaTap Power Guide (a great resource!):

1700778643542.png

It seems the diagnostic port may be a great place to tap in since it is off when the car is off and sentry is off. That way you can control the dashcam by turning sentry on/off.

They also have a great video about how to access the various taps:

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and teko