Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best DIY Clear PPF for the front of the Model 3. Please Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL, I don't even have a garage. I did mine outside, as you can see from my photos. Maybe silver doesn't show dust, because I didn't see any issues with mine.

I mean, you wash your car right before you start, and wipe it down with alcohol. Your PPF is on a backing sheet, that you only remove just prior to putting it in place. As you peel off the backer, you spray your soap solution. The chance for dust, is that short period of time between wiping your car down with alcohol and peeling off the backing sheet, because once you place your PPF, it covers almost all of the car that you are working on. Good luck.

Reactions: borijess3
LOL, I don't even have a garage.

I mean, you wash your car right before you start, and wipe it down with alcohol. Your PPF is on a backing sheet, that you only remove just prior to putting it in place. As you peel off the backer, you spray your soap solution. The chance for dust, is that short period of time between wiping your car down with alcohol and peeling off the backing sheet, because once you place your PPF, it covers almost all of the car that you are working on. Good luck.

Someone posted the process before putting the PPF but I can't find it. So you spray alcohol before applying PPF? I thought it was soapy solution?

Wash car.
Clay bar.
Polish.
PPF.

Someone posted the process before putting the PPF but I can't find it. So you spray alcohol before applying PPF? I thought it was soapy solution?

Wash car.
Clay bar.
Polish.
PPF.

You use alcohol to get it to grab. Helpful for stretching. Stretch, spray alcohol, then it grabs.

if you have bubbles use a hypodermic needle. You can buy one at a drug store in the pharmacy for like $1. No prescription needed.

Ok guys this will be the weekend when I finally install my Invisble Mask on my M3. I ordered the full frontal and will start with the hood. Wish me good luck guys. Hopefully it comes out as good as yours! Should I do the full fenders when I do the hood too? Are the fenders that difficult or moderate difficulty? I thank all you guys for the help!!

So I tried and put on the hood PPF. It was an epic fail. I was going to use baby shampoo and water to give me more time. But invisiblemask website said use this mixture of you have 3M Pro (

Scotchgard Pro Series: You will only need 1 squirt bottle. Use 22 ounces of distilled water, 8 ounces of 70% alcohol, 2 cc's Baby Shampoo). This was a big mistake the PPF tacked on too quick and I had a ton of bubbles and wrinkles. Very sad and dissatisfied. Should of went with the baby shampoo and water only.

No, as I mentioned, I only did the 30" partial hood, which includes a partial front fender. I also didn't do the A-pillar, or the rear fender or rear bumper or rear trunk. I just did the parts I felt were the most exposed to road debris or inattentive people in parking lots: front bumper, hood, fenders, mirror cups, doors, rockers. Since I bought all my pieces from invisible mask, the prices are there.

Hood/fenders/mirror cups $200
4 Doors $415
Rockers $125
Fr Bumper $185

So, around $925, altogether, not including my time!

I bet that if you include the time you spent and factor the cost it will be more expensive than the $1300 I paid to get it done by a pro shop. How many hours did it take you to get this done? I am interested in knowing the overall cost including your labor.

I bet that if you include the time you spent and factor the cost it will be more expensive than the $1300 I paid to get it done by a pro shop. How many hours did it take you to get this done? I am interested in knowing the overall cost including your labor.
You're right, if I considered it to be work. But, taking care of my car is more of a hobby. Besides, what I did would cost you far more than $1300 at a shop. That would only get you the hood/fenders/bumper/mirrors. I also did the doors and rockers.

Ok I got the hood wrapped edges on my M3. Looks great but the edges that dont wrap around on the top corners of the hood are not staying down. Probably 1 to 2 mm does not stick. Anyway to fix this so it doesnt collect dust or begin to peel?

upload_2020-8-3_4-40-18.png

Ia did bothaboth fenders. What about the bubble?
Should I be patient and let them clear up I hope? Or should I be impatient and use a syringe?

Attachments

• IMG_20200807_160747.jpg
    IMG_20200807_160747.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20200807_160806.jpg
    IMG_20200807_160806.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 127