Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was quite surprised to see that the Tesla home charger doesn’t qualify for the OLEV home charger grant, and I wondered what people would recommend as an alternative?

"Best" charger is the Tesla one, purely for the button.

From the OLEV side of things, after all I've looked at its between Rolec and PodPoint on price and utility. With PodPoint looking a bit better. Rolec outsources fitting to local electricians, PodPoint have their own fitters (which won't lift floor boards or hide cables for you).

If you have solar panels you can consider Zappi.

And if you want the posh one have a look at Anderson.

I'm planning on having a Pod Point fitted once I have my delivery date sorted. Looked at a few, and was really impressed with the service I got on the phone from them, and both myself (and my Wife) like the look of the installation. Their tethered version is 4.8m - which is more than enough for our location, and they also have a 'regular' version.

Any experience with these on the forum?

Home Electric Car Chargepoints | Pod Point

OLEV grant - I have been told (by an installer) that OLEV grants are not available for connectors supplied by EV manufacturers. I don't know whether tht is true.
I like the look of the Tesla connector but don't know whether it can be used to charge non-Tesla cars, I have been told that it can and also that it cannot. This is an important point for me as my wife may well buy a smaller EV, such as the Mini. With my Model 3 supposedly arriving in mid-September, I need to make a decision very soon.

I have a Volvo XC90 Plug in and it charged fine from a Tesla Charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Is Model-3 UMC 32AMP capable? There has been some chatter about it (presumably reduced-cost for model-3 compared to original UMCs for Model-S/X) but I can't remember what the upshot was. The UMC is expensive, so worth comparing cost of wear and tear against cost of Wall Charger, and as you say wrapping it up to take with you when it is wet and cold is not very pleasant
I made some progress on this - just order the 32A commando adapter for the UMC Gen 2, from Tesla UK and it's arriving tomorrow!

For anyone who wants to order, you need to send your phone number and a RN or VIN number to [email protected], and they will give you a call and take payment over the phone. It was £39.99 including next day delivery (don't exactly need it that soon, but it's the only option).

Really great service from them, and also from Tesla Bristol who pointed me in this direction.

I'm getting a commando socket installed for £150, so it's a nice cost saver for anyone who can't benefit from an OLEV grant like myself, whilst still giving 7kw charging.

I'm planning on having a Pod Point fitted once I have my delivery date sorted. Looked at a few, and was really impressed with the service I got on the phone from them, and both myself (and my Wife) like the look of the installation. Their tethered version is 4.8m - which is more than enough for our location, and they also have a 'regular' version.

I had the PodPoint 7kW Solo Charger (tethered) installed in June and have been extremely happy with it. The pre-installation service was very smooth and everything was done within a week of me placing my order. No issues so far using it with my M3 - all very easy!

Thanks for info. Its definitely a blue (single phase) one?

I'm looking to have a commando fitted (spare/backup in addition to wall connector) and 32A one may be a better option if sparky allows. Most of the time its likely to be lawnmower with a 13A adaptor.

Pod point seem to get mixed reviews, there have been some terrible reviews I have seen online, some on youtube where they completely bypassed the meter altogether, the pod point unit appear to be fine, it is just the shoddy installers they use, people have had a number of missed appointments to. I wanted the cable to be run in my ceiling void, I contacted them twice, provided them the info they wanted, and they never get back to me. Since they didn't want my business I went elsewhere, but have a look online and on youtube, and it might put you off...

Reactions: ME_UK
I'm also going to see how much
Thanks for info. Its definitely a blue (single phase) one?

I'm looking to have a commando fitted (spare/backup in addition to wall connector) and 32A one may be a better option if sparky allows. Most of the time its likely to be lawnmower with a 13A adaptor.
Well, pretty sure! Isn't the 3 phase one 40A or something? Will post some pics tomorrow

Reactions: MrBadger
Out of curiosity, what RCD did they fit? Mine was fitted a month ago and they used "Tesla recommended" RCD, but apparently it does not comply with UK Regs since January.
Not 100% sure, it just says Type B RCBO on the front. The rest of the electrics weren't touched other than to hook it into them. We live in a 9 year old new build if that helps.

Not 100% sure, it just says Type B RCBO on the front. The rest of the electrics weren't touched other than to hook it into them. We live in a 9 year old new build if that helps.
Have a read of the B-type thread - a B type RCBO may not have a B type RCD in it - its very confusing and the only way of being certain which part the B-type refers to is by looking at the circuit diagram on the front Tesla Wall Connector - Type B / Type A-EV RCD - @arg is very knowledgeable on this Why use Type B / Type A-EV RCD

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Oddbin
I had my Rolec HomeSmart EV charge point installed today. No dramas with the installation. Haven’t got the app working yet though. I didn’t like the look of the PodPoint. The Rolec has a continuously flashing green light on it which looks good at night from a security aspect. Went untethered and will asses the length of cable required once I get the M3 in the driveway. Have completed the OLEV Grant forms with the installer except for delivery date which I have now sought guidance with from Tesla. It’s low to reduce the weight of the hanging cable. :cool:

Before. After
3D2A8E30-7235-49CC-908A-1BF82697E4A1.jpeg A0046788-5433-4057-9DD7-E03AD21ADA70.jpeg

It was a stipulation - I wanted no wires showing.
I’ve also had a Rolec Homesmart EV installed, but not quite so neat because they had to install an earth spike, which is connected below the unit using a green and yellow stripped cable. My installation was about 10 metres and they needed to fit a trip device which ended up being positioned in roof space - though not too inconvenient.
Haven’t had delivery of my M3 yet, so not tried it. Used “Powered Solutions Ltd” and cost £415.

thumbnail_IMG_1201[1].jpg thumbnail_IMG_1200[1].jpg
Now I have seen that! That's what I want. Looks like a neat job.
Who did you use out of interest?

Having made up my mind I contacted Rolec direct using their web page and then clicking on the via their EV Charging Stations, Power Units and Electric Vehicle Chargers | Rolecserv and then clicking on the "Grant Funded" link Grant Funded Smart Home EV Charging Points. There I completed the on-line application and was then contacted by email by their installer for my area Earth Electrical (Southern) Ltd., www.earthelectric.co.uk, 01252856498 - Andy Parker. He was very helpful and we discussed the job fully after I had completed a questionnaire about the installation. This is when I told him that I didn't want exposed wiring on the house. As my house is a 1930s variety we had the opportunity to put the cabling beneath the floor to the meter/consumer box location under the stairs.

I’ve also had a Rolec Homesmart EV installed, but not quite so neat because they had to install an earth spike, which is connected below the unit using a green and yellow stripped cable. My installation was about 10 metres and they needed to fit a trip device which ended up being positioned in roof space - though not too inconvenient.
Haven’t had delivery of my M3 yet, so not tried it. Used “Powered Solutions Ltd” and cost £415.

The earthing spike was also fitted again under the floor by driving a copper spike through the concrete oversite. A trip switch was also fitted (small grey box) for the installation. Total cost to me just under £370 (subject to obtaining the Grant - paperwork done by installer.) App is working but no good without a car of course! Now just got to put everything back in place.

Last edited:
Wow Keeper, that Rolec installation looks great. Thanks for providing the installation details, as that 01252 number is Fleet, which is where I live, so this has now made my mind up about the Rolec compared to the PodPoint which I had been thinking about before. I

am still waiting to even get a VIN let alone details of a delivery date for an M3P order. What details do you need to provide EarthElectric with before you can go-ahead with the install (and grant application) as it would be good to have the charger installed ready in case Tesla move quickly with my order?

Thanks,
AJP

Wow Keeper, that Rolec installation looks great. Thanks for providing the installation details, as that 01252 number is Fleet, which is where I live, so this has now made my mind up about the Rolec compared to the PodPoint which I had been thinking about before. I

am still waiting to even get a VIN let alone details of a delivery date for an M3P order. What details do you need to provide EarthElectric with before you can go-ahead with the install (and grant application) as it would be good to have the charger installed ready in case Tesla move quickly with my order?

Thanks,
AJP

These are the questions I was asked

To start the process can you answer the following questions related to the grant:

Make and Model of vehicle?
When did or do you get the car?
Have you claimed the grant for a charging point before?
Do you have off street parking?
Location of fuse board with relation to where the new charging unit will be and distance between both?
Which charging point would you like (read below prices and advantages of types)? (Keeper added - see Rolec website)

Edit - Other questions asked later for installation. I have a 100amp main fuse.

With regard to the information that you required prior to installation I confirm the following:-

• Order confirmation received - awaiting delivery date (will advise when firmed up)
  • Lease Agreement - None
  • Electricity Incoming Supply Number - S xx xxx xxx xx xxxx xxxx (SSE) Found on Page 3 of recent bill
  • Installed at home -
    • electric oven - Yes
    • electric hob - No
    • underfloor heating - No
    • hot tub - No
    • showers that heat own water - No
    • sauna - No
    • swimming pool - No

Last edited:
  • Informative