Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK - so I got an email link asking for some photo's of the site, fuse box and electricity meter yesterday afternoon, filled that out at 7pm last night, and just got my appointment for next Saturday for the install. So from pushing the button to order, to confirmation of installation date was less than 24 hours, and then 11 days to wait until installation commences. Also had an email checking if everything was alright and asking if I needed anything else.

So far so good.........

Another email today, requesting I move my slot to later in the day. Very polite, very apologetic, and a few hours doesn't matter to me (especially given 9 days notice).......all is still positive.

I went for a tethered Rolec Smart charger, which is OLEV approved and after the £500 rebate, only cost me £380 all-in (including installation, charger unit and VAT). My installation included an earth rod and an extra 5m of cabling over the included 10m (it is 12m from the breaker, meter and fuse board).

I would go for a smart version (not because of the OLEV requirement) because you could take advantage of 1/2 hourly tariffs for overnight charging which will be considerably cheaper than day rates when they roll out.

View attachment 443365

Looks good.
Does it send info and log to your smartphone through the app? Is it connected to your home wifi?

I’ve been back and forth (in my head) over Pod point and Rolec. I think I’ve finally decided to go for Rolec now.

It’s smaller, looks less like a hose pipe reel and actually doesn’t look too bad. Price is about the same too (Tethered).

Any reason not to go for it?

Reactions: phillcom3
Well, my tethered Rolec was installed almost three weeks ago and I'm yet to see it connect to the server. Endless calls/e-mails to the installers is getting me nowhere. Worse, I tried plugging an i3 into it today and it doesn't even work as a dumb charger. Wish I'd gone for something else. Still, at least I haven't paid the invoice yet!

Well, my tethered Rolec was installed almost three weeks ago and I'm yet to see it connect to the server. Endless calls/e-mails to the installers is getting me nowhere. Worse, I tried plugging an i3 into it today and it doesn't even work as a dumb charger. Wish I'd gone for something else. Still, at least I haven't paid the invoice yet!

This is slightly concerning although sounds like the issue is more with the installer than the Rolec. Things always go wrong but it's how it's put right is the main thing in my opinion. Out of curiosity who installed it? Might be one to avoid...

This is slightly concerning although sounds like the issue is more with the installer than the Rolec. Things always go wrong but it's how it's put right is the main thing in my opinion. Out of curiosity who installed it? Might be one to avoid...
I don't think it's the installation. It's got power etc. I'm not sure what the installer can do aside from wiring it up and registering it on the server. I'm guessing that either the GPRS/GSM modem in it has gone AWOL, or else the control unit that controls the switching isn't working. I'm guessing the latter since the user guide says that if it loses server connection, it falls back to being a dumb charger - but it's not doing that either.

Installer was local to me - I won't name them just yet since I don't think the problem is their doing.

I don't think it's the installation. It's got power etc. I'm not sure what the installer can do aside from wiring it up and registering it on the server. I'm guessing that either the GPRS/GSM modem in it has gone AWOL, or else the control unit that controls the switching isn't working. I'm guessing the latter since the user guide says that if it loses server connection, it falls back to being a dumb charger - but it's not doing that either.

Installer was local to me - I won't name them just yet since I don't think the problem is their doing.

That's fair enough. Just sounded like you've tried getting back in touch with them and aren't getting a response. Who's the warranty with? Is it Rolec that would need to swap it if it's a faulty unit?

I'm only interested as I'm looking at a Rolec myself and it'll be a local business I'll be ordering through and will also do the installation.

I had a problem with my Rolec immediately after installation in that it wasn't being recognised. I phoned Software Technical Support on 01202 078000 following advice from the installer. It turned out that 1 letter in my registered email address had been copied over incorrectly. Once changed this solved all the issues of connection. :cool:

I got a quote for Podpoint.
It’s an extra £250! For 7.5m cable (premium of £1/cm)

also, they said I need to dig a trench to the wall (as the charger won’t be going on the house wall).

my plan is to cover whatever charger I get with a Tesla themed box (small one)

LRAWD MSM with white interior. Doesn't seem like a popular combination from what I've seen (e.g. order spreadsheet on this forum) so I have some concerns that it might end up toward the back of the queue.

This is the exact spec I have and despite being an early reservation holder and ordering day one I don't even have a SC VIN :-(

I do have a home charger though, I got a company called ecoplugg to install a zappi V2. They did a great job and would highly recommend them.

The zappi V2 seems good too, a bit ugly but they all are. The main benefits seem to be it doesn't need an earth rod, it is smart which means you can do load monitoring (I needed this so I could run it off my Garage without the need for an extra dedicated feed from the main CU), it can integrate in to your solar if you have it and you can control when it will charge (to make use of an economy 7 type tariff).

I think there is a big wait on black versions but white are available now.

That's fair enough. Just sounded like you've tried getting back in touch with them and aren't getting a response. Who's the warranty with? Is it Rolec that would need to swap it if it's a faulty unit?

I'm only interested as I'm looking at a Rolec myself and it'll be a local business I'll be ordering through and will also do the installation.
Well, I'm definitely going back to the installers in the first instance, and to be fair to them they are trying to sort it out, but they're getting the run-around from Rolec / ev.energy. I would think the warranty rest with them too.

Reactions: Christiez
Turns out I spoke to soon! They came today and wouldn't install as when I charge the car the cable will cross through a "path" (even though I own the land" and therefore they refused to install... crazy! Now kicked off with them via email as no answer on phone.
i just had my rolec installed with olev. the guy was great very quick very professional explaining everything as he went.

if you go to the rolec website and use the wall charger on olev for £290 quid deal they are doing it seems to all work out

included was the rcb henly block earthing armoured cable plus extra time as he couldn't get enough earthing through one rod.

I also had a few initial problems for the olev grant as I had the path through my land issue too as I am on a terraced plot but its very obvious that no one would ever , other than milkman and postman, be using that path. next door has his own drive and so does the other next door.

just stand your ground with any of them and seay fine whatever ill use the next company.

message me if you want the guys email I dealt with they are called plug it in group. all they ask for is your RN number and proof of date.

Reactions: Roy W.
i just had my rolec installed with olev. the guy was great very quick very professional explaining everything as he went.

if you go to the rolec website and use the wall charger on olev for £290 quid deal they are doing it seems to all work out

included was the rcb henly block earthing armoured cable plus extra time as he couldn't get enough earthing through one rod.

I also had a few initial problems for the olev grant as I had the path through my land issue too as I am on a terraced plot but its very obvious that no one would ever , other than milkman and postman, be using that path. next door has his own drive and so does the other next door.

just stand your ground with any of them and seay fine whatever ill use the next company.

message me if you want the guys email I dealt with they are called plug it in group. all they ask for is your RN number and proof of date.

Which one did you go with? Did you get the tethered version? I am getting quoted around £450 for a teathered one, But in need a small Consumer unit and a Earth Spike.

My additional £300 grant (Scotland only) has been approved also. Overall cost to me for the Rolec will be £440.

I still think they are bumping prices up in SCotland due to the additional grant of £300 on top of the £500 OLEV grant but it is what it is.

Install is booked for 20th September

Reactions: Roy W.
I have just decided to go with the Rolec unit as well, I have no idea when my Model 3 will arrive (October?) but I want to ensure I have a charger before it arrives. My quote was £400 installed for the 7.2kW tethered unit but I do need to have an earth rod installed and there is a couple of walls to get through from the consumer unit,