Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best (Max) MPH charge rate of the HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A number of posts in this forum, mostly having to do with failed chargers (secondary fail won't even show unless you charge above 40A, primary fail shows up immediately). Also, notice how your charge current pauses at 40A look longer than any other value, supposively that is when the second charger is brought online.

Great info. Glad I charge at 60A routinely so I know if the secondary charger is still working. :cool:

Same for our 2015 P85D with dual 40A chargers connected to a 1st generation Tesla HPWC on a 100A circuit breaker on a 240V single phase service. We routinely charge at 60A ( ~ 41 mph) since our HPWC cable, HPWC plug and Tesla socket get VERY warm when we charge at 80A. Knowing HEAT is the enemy of electronics and plastics, there is no good reason to routinely charge at 80A... but 80A ( ~ 61mph) is nice when we need to charge quickly.

My original UMC handle gets hotter at 24amps than my new HCWC handle does at 80amps. It is wear and dirt in the old handle causing a compromised connection. Cleaning my UMC while not Tesla sanctioned did help.

A number of posts in this forum, mostly having to do with failed chargers (secondary fail won't even show unless you charge above 40A, primary fail shows up immediately). Also, notice how your charge current pauses at 40A look longer than any other value, supposively that is when the second charger is brought online.

They load share once over 40amps, set it to 42amps and see what it does. My secondary is wounded, car only pulls 72amps, but I just went out and tested. Set at 42amps, it ramps up to 21amps settles for a little then continues on to 42amps, pretty easy to see it is split over 40.