Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best (Max) MPH charge rate of the HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's normal variance and not a household regulation problem. Your house can vary low to high depending on the neighborhood's power use at the time and all electronics are built with these variances in mind. I see similarly high rates at off peak times when neighborhood power consumption is low and supply is high.

The varying voltage between locations is what confuses people. They see 30A and have an assumption as to the miles per hour they will charge at. A change in voltage will ruin that number. I think that’s why Tesla and other companies advertise the charge rate in kW.
Exactly! 240v in a good circuit will charge 20% faster than a 208v commercial that sags to 200v due to distance to parking lot when used.

Jeeze whoever’s house that was they should look into why their voltage is that high. It’s great for increasing the charge rate but that kind of pressure isn’t good for household items.

The varying voltage between locations is what confuses people. They see 30A and have an assumption as to the miles per hour they will charge at. A change in voltage will ruin that number. I think that’s why Tesla and other companies advertise the charge rate in kW.

Example 72A at 197v = only 14.184kW.
You need at least 238V to hit the max kW on the older 100D of 17.2kW. Over a 3,000 watt difference. Between the 197v sometimes found at destination chargers and the 238v common at residential could equate to a 8-9 mph difference.
That, plus remember that it also matter which car you charge, namely the rated Wh/mile of the car in question. For example, at the same current and voltage, our 75D will show higher mph than P85D.

There was not a 24A option after the switch the 48A standard chargers; all Model 3s and 75Ds have the 48A charger while the 100D/P100Ds have the 72A charger. You are not able to upgrade or choose the charger anymore.

My late 2016 Model X 90D had the 48amp charger and 72amp was an option. That’s what I based my statement off of. There was a time you could get either 48 or 72 amps. It was also an AP2.0 with cooled seats, which was only available for a short time.

At any rate, Tesla keeps changing options and what is standard just about every month. Really frustrating to know what was available based on when the car was built.

That's normal variance and not a household regulation problem. Your house can vary low to high depending on the neighborhood's power use at the time and all electronics are built with these variances in mind. I see similarly high rates at off peak times when neighborhood power consumption is low and supply is high.

Perhaps however his utility is over the maximum threshold allowed by NEC. The limit for residential is 252v or 126v per. I would wager at times he is even higher than 254v when the car is not drawing power. His utility by law needs to install a transformer with a voltage selector on it to avoid damage at their expense.

The variance should be minimal. Here’s the historical record of the voltage coming in to my residence.
(Past 3 months)
29FD9BA1-0DB4-4F28-92A3-C5A0C01ED7C7.png

(Past 6 hours)
034A2D0D-C874-4EE0-B75D-69A6C00B5F6C.png

Can we kill one urban legend please? I know of no data that shows that slower charging with the onboard Chargers increases battery life. There is convincing evidence however that charging faster is actually better. The idea is that heat is the number one enemy of lithium ion batteries. Thus the shorter amount of time under the stress of charging, higher heat, the better off you are. Whatever the case, no on-board charger is going to charge fast enough to damage your battery period. And having the ability to charge at 60 miles per hour makes quite a difference.

I installed a 100 amp hpwc for my P85, and typically got 60 mph @ 245ish volts with its dual chargers.
My p85+ has a single and I get 31mph... I do miss the faster charge rate. it comes in handy, but I'd imagine once the supercharger is installed here in Chico I'll miss it less.

And having the ability to charge at 60 miles per hour makes quite a difference.

Maybe for some use cases? Though I’d suggest they are few and far between when you get right down to it.

In 2 years and 67,000 miles of driving, I can’t think of a single instance where 72 vs 48 amp L2 charging would have made “quite a difference”, or indeed any difference at all, for me.

In 2 years and 67,000 miles of driving, I can’t think of a single instance where 72 vs 48 amp L2 charging would have made “quite a difference”, or indeed any difference at all, for me.
Ya, glad I got the "dual chargers" in my 2014 P85+. I did have a dedicated 100 amp panel for 80 amp delivery at my last house. I moved to an apartment, so no home charging. Still glad I have the dual chargers. The most used HPWC are at wineries in Sonoma County. They tend to be 20 kWh chargers that meet the max of my dual chargers.

Point here, we stop at destination chargers at wineries for a brief amount of time, but get a good charge. A couple of stops like that and I don't have to stop at the SuperCharger on the way home. Glad I got the dual chargers for a full 80 amp/20 kWh charge.

Another point, Mph as a charge rate is an average. Measure the kWh to know what amount of juice you are getting from the charger. This is more applicable to DC to DC charging, but the same physics do apply here.

Reactions: henderrj
This is why I was asking. When I plug in at a ChargePoint it is SO disappointingly slow. I have to leave the car all day to get a good charge at the 30 amps they usually have, so I imagine the Model S's must be more painful. But when I am parked at a Destination Charger I always wonder what it must be like to not be capped at 48 amps. Thanks for all the good Model S persective.

-Randy

Ya, glad I got the "dual chargers" in my 2014 P85+. I did have a dedicated 100 amp panel for 80 amp delivery at my last house. I moved to an apartment, so no home charging. Still glad I have the dual chargers. The most used HPWC are at wineries in Sonoma County. They tend to be 20 kWh chargers that meet the max of my dual chargers.

Point here, we stop at destination chargers at wineries for a brief amount of time, but get a good charge. A couple of stops like that and I don't have to stop at the SuperCharger on the way home. Glad I got the dual chargers for a full 80 amp/20 kWh charge.

Totally agree with this. If I had my dual charger p85 for my last trip from Chico to Santa Rosa, it would have saved considerable time utilizing the higher rate 16kw chargers we stopped at. Instead I was forced to hang out at the winery and drink more :). I also think the dual chargers were not utilized all that much due to the roadblocks that providing that kind of amperage entails for a host. Finding room for a 30 Amp circuit in an existing service is a lot easier than a 100amp circuit. Most distribution panels aren't oversized all that much, so providing the extra amperage might mean upgrading the whole panel, which can be a major $$ hurdle. My point, if you ever had a 80 amp charger, you will miss it when gone..

Reactions: Blu Zap
240 volts x 80 amps is 19.2 kW. That is about 58 mph. The only way to get 80 amps in your garage is to have two 40 amp chargers installed in the car. My car came with one 40 amp charger installed. I paid to have a second one installed. Even with the HPWC wired with 2 gauge wire, at 80 amps the voltage drops down to about 236 volts because of the voltage drop in the wire. The wire gets warm with that much current flowing through it. I very seldom charge at 80 amps. Usually I use 50 amps which puts 25 amps through each charger and the voltage drop in the wire is minimal.

Same for our 2015 P85D with dual 40A chargers connected to a 1st generation Tesla HPWC on a 100A circuit breaker on a 240V single phase service. We routinely charge at 60A ( ~ 41 mph) since our HPWC cable, HPWC plug and Tesla socket get VERY warm when we charge at 80A. Knowing HEAT is the enemy of electronics and plastics, there is no good reason to routinely charge at 80A... but 80A ( ~ 61mph) is nice when we need to charge quickly.

We routinely charge at 60A ( ~ 41 mph) since our HPWC cable, HPWC plug and Tesla socket get VERY warm when we charge at 80A.
At what ambient temperature? I charge my car at 80A and in the summer the handle gets a little warm, but never VERY warm. Unless it's hot outside, I don't even notice the temperature difference between 48A (my wife's car) and my car (80A) - we shared a single HPWC for couple of months and I was the one moving the charger between cars every night.

I have seen 60 mph in my old 80 A car. Dual chargers were sometimes very valuable before the age of superchargers. I remember a couple of trips up to Maine and upstate NY in 2013 where I saved a lot of time with 80A destination and 70 Sunbelt chargers.
Now with superchargers it seems marginally useful.
Although still nowadays dual chargers can give you the flexibility to stop at restaurants of your choice instead of supercharger/fastfood. My wife and I had an awesome trip to Key West in my old 80A Model S where we skipped superchargers/fastfood and only stopped at real restaurants with destination chargers along the way. Felt really good to 'vote with your wallet' by supporting the "Tesla restaurants" :) in addition to the pure enjoyment of the meals. Was an awesome and memorable trip but would of felt too slow with a 40 or 48 A charger.

Reactions: BrokerDon
At what ambient temperature? I charge my car at 80A and in the summer the handle gets a little warm, but never VERY warm. Unless it's hot outside, I don't even notice the temperature difference between 48A (my wife's car) and my car (80A) - we shared a single HPWC for couple of months and I was the one moving the charger between cars every night.

Our SoCal garage is typically 70ºF to 80ºF... but sometimes hotter when it's 90ºF outside during the day since our garage doors face west.

When I say charging at 80A is VERY warm it's relative to the significantly lower slightly above ambient temperature our HPWC connector gets when we charge at 60A. Also charging at 80A makes both 40A chargers work at 100% of their rating... Again not preferable for long term reliability. No reason to charge at 80A unless we need a quick charge.

Our SoCal garage is typically 70ºF to 80ºF... but sometimes hotter when it's 90ºF outside during the day since our garage doors face west.

When I say charging at 80A is VERY warm it's relative to the significantly lower slightly above ambient temperature our HPWC connector gets when we charge at 60A. Also charging at 80A makes both 40A chargers work at 100% of their rating... Again not preferable for long term reliability. No reason to charge at 80A unless we need a quick charge.
Ah, 80-90ºF is what I consider hot summer weather for Seattle. HPWC handle starts at 80-90ºF so of course it will feel warm to a human hand even if the temperature is raised by only 10ºF. Btw, when charging at 60A, your primary charger is working at 100% of its rating, and if that charger fails, there is no charging possible (even if the second charger is fine), so your mean time to failure will be the same whether you charge at 60A or 80A.

Dual chargers were sometimes very valuable before the age of superchargers. I remember a couple of trips up to Maine and upstate NY in 2013 where I saved a lot of time with 80A destination and 70 Sunbelt chargers.
Now with superchargers it seems marginally useful.
Usefulness of faster AC charging depends heavily on how you use your car. The two main categories are road tripping and mid day charging. While road tripping charging can be eased with more superchargers, mid-day charging usually cannot (you drive a lot in the morning, come home, then drive a lot in the evening).

Reactions: Olle
when charging at 60A, your primary charger is working at 100% of its rating, and if that charger fails, there is no charging possible (even if the second charger is fine), so your mean time to failure will be the same whether you charge at 60A or 80A.

Hmmm... I didn't think the chargers worked that way (thought they split the amperage equally). What is your source for this non-amperage sharing dual 40A charger behavior?

Hmmm... I didn't think the chargers worked that way (thought they split the amperage equally). What is your source for this non-amperage sharing dual 40A charger behavior?
A number of posts in this forum, mostly having to do with failed chargers (secondary fail won't even show unless you charge above 40A, primary fail shows up immediately). Also, notice how your charge current pauses at 40A look longer than any other value, supposively that is when the second charger is brought online.