Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best non-Tesla NEMA 14-50 charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage.
Currently using standard Tesla mobile connector.

The biggest disadvantage is that I have to the garage backwards to charge. And I don’t like the idea of moving the outlet location.

What are the other options? Thinking of a 3rd party charger with long enough cable. I don’t think Tesla stock options have long cables. Probably need at least 21’, or 22-23’ to be safe. Are there any chargers to you purchased and can highly recommend? Thanks

The biggest disadvantage is that I have to the garage backwards to charge. And I don’t like the idea of moving the outlet location.

What are the other options? Thinking of a 3rd party charger with long enough cable. I don’t think Tesla stock options have long cables. Probably need at least 21’, or 22-23’ to be safe. Are there any chargers to you purchased and can highly recommend? Thanks
The Tesla Wall Connector has a long charging cable. 24’. You could fairly easily convert the outlet to a direct connect, or buy a 14-50 pigtail and attach it to the Wall Connector.

Reactions: Tagar
I agree that the Tesla Wall Connector is a good alternative to using the 14-50 plug adapter and the Mobile Connector. However it would be an electrical code violation to add a power plug pigtail to the Wall Connector as Tesla does not provide installation instructions/information for adding a power plug to the Wall Connector. The biggest omission would be a temperature sensor that detects if the plug is overheating. Plenty of people have done this modification without issue but know that it is not code compliant. (It would be easy for a licensed electrician to remove the 14-50R and install the Wall Connector.)

I have an issue with the 18 foot length of the charging cord on the Gen 2 Mobile Connector. If I had to buy an EVSE with a 14-50 power plug there are many choices. You have to decide if you want/need to charge at 40 amps (on a 50 amp circuit) or if 32 amps (40 amp or 50 amp circuit) is adequate. There are many off-shore made 32 amp and increasingly 40 amp EVSE with a 6-50 or 14-50 power plug. IMHO many reviews on Amazon show that these off shore 14-50 equipped 32 amp and 40 amp EVSE are not well engineered or manufactured and they fail within the first year.

In 2020 I purchased a 32 amp capable EVSE from ClipperCreek that was sold under the brand/model AmazingE, Fast EVSE. The AmazingE brand of EVSE used a ClipperCreek circuit board. Unfortunately the AmazingE Fast 32 amp EVSE is no longer available.

ClipperCreek made some of the best US designed and built EVSE. ClipperCreek has been acquired by Enphase. Store | Enphase Only the higher end consumer and commercial ClipperCreek EVSEs are available from Enphase.

Another manufacturer to consider is Grizzl-E (made in Canada) The Grizzl-E Classic 40 is available with a 24 foot charging cord and comes in black, white and even cammo. The Grizzl-E Classic is not Wi-Fi or BT enabled, just a basic EVSE. The Grizzl-E Classic is good value in a 40 amp capable EVSE. GRIZZL-E – Level 2 EV Charger 10 кw – Simple. Reliable. Affordable.

Amazon is another place to start your search for an 14-50 plug equipped EVSE with a 24 or 25 foot charging cord. There you will find EVSE from Blink, Chargepoint and Juicebox to name a few. These EVSE are approximately twice the price of the off shore EVSE. I have no experience with any of these brands. Also see if WalMart, HomeDepot or Lowes has what you want in an EVSE.

I would bet the safety of my house on a ClipperCreek HCS series EVSE either HCS-40 or HCS-50 available for a hard wired installation or with a 14-50 power plug, I believe the 6-50 plug is also available. (The 6-50 receptacle and plug is similar to the 14-50 except it has no neutral connection.) The 6-50 receptacle and plug is found on some welding equipment and is also more common in Canada than the 14-50 receptacle and plug.

Last edited:
  • Love
Thank you @jcanoe - very though, and super helpful.

I have installed the NEMA14-50 (and the line from the electric circuit breaker) myself 4 years ago for another EV at that time.
So might be going the the Wall Connector option.

GRIZZL-E is a good option too, with a nice 4.7 rating on Amazon.
A lot of good charging options.

I'll chime in to say that a long cable can be a pain in the butt. You either have to coil and uncoil it all the time, or you have to leave it stretched out, which is an eyesore and risks damage (run over or yanked) or tripping. I'd seriously consider moving the outlet or putting a wall connector in a more convenient location.

Reactions: MattM24
I'll chime in to say that a long cable can be a pain in the butt. You either have to coil and uncoil it all the time, or you have to leave it stretched out, which is an eyesore and risks damage (run over or yanked) or tripping. I'd seriously consider moving the outlet or putting a wall connector in a more convenient location.
I’ll second this. I have the opposite problem. When I park forwards in my garage, the charging cable is right there, but when I back in, I have to drag it under the car and to the back. I had been backing in my Model X so that the Falcon wing doors could clear the garage door when the door was open and leaving the charge cable on the ground all the time. Pain in the butt. So now I will drive in frontwards when I need to charge so I don’t have to leave the cord on the ground all the time.

Honestly, backing in isn’t that bad. You have to back up either leaving or coming anyways.

I’ll second this. I have the opposite problem. When I park forwards in my garage, the charging cable is right there, but when I back in, I have to drag it under the car and to the back. I had been backing in my Model X so that the Falcon wing doors could clear the garage door when the door was open and leaving the charge cable on the ground all the time. Pain in the butt. So now I will drive in frontwards when I need to charge so I don’t have to leave the cord on the ground all the time.

Honestly, backing in isn’t that bad. You have to back up either leaving or coming anyways.
I’ll third this. If you can move the receptacle, move it. Hardwire is even better.

The Tesla Wall Connector has a long charging cable. 24’. You could fairly easily convert the outlet to a direct connect, or buy a 14-50 pigtail and attach it to the Wall Connector.
Last year, I bought an EV JuiceNet "enel x" 240V/32A level 2 charger with a NEMA 14-50 plug that I normally keep plugged into a newly installed 240V outlet below a new dedicated 240V electrical panel, for a Chrysler Pacifica PHEV (we since sold the van). It now charges my new Model Y LR at 28 miles/hour.

This charger has a pretty thick 25 foot-long cable, a cable rack for the cable when it not charging, and a plug "holster" for the charging handle when it is not in use. It cost $550. Mopar sold 2 different types for the van at the time: this one with a pluggable connector; the other one is hard-wired. I got the plug-type so I could take it to my son's house and charge my PHEV van there.

I was lucky that I installed this charger only 3 feet from the rear of my new model Y when I back it into my garage, but the cable is more than long enough to reach the rear of the Tesla when it is parked in front of the garage in my driveway, too. See photos below, one with the cable wrapped on the rack, and the other with the handle plugged into its "holster". <This is not an endorsement. I still might purchase one or another Tesla charger, and keep or give this "enel x" to my son, who plans to purchase an EV of some type next year.>

Attachments

• EV-juicenet-enelx.jpg
    EV-juicenet-enelx.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 119
  • EV-juicenet-enelx-holster.jpg
    EV-juicenet-enelx-holster.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
With Ford, GM, and others going to the NACS, the Tesla Wall Connector will become "future proof".
Yes, and the newest "universal" (level 2) Tesla Wall Connector provides both types of North American plugs, so it compatible for all North American EVs on the road today. According to Tesla, their new universal charger is capable of charging at 48Amps, so it has the advantage of providing faster charging than the 32Amp "enel X" charger, even though they both cost $550 at the moment (August 2023).

bite the bullet and have the outlet moved.
it will cost less than a Wall Charger, and you can make it's location perfect for your needs.