Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best practices for locking phone in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably a weird thread title. Love my new Model 3 but find it clunkier than previous cars in this odd respect.

When I drive somewhere to go running, I leave my phone in the car when I run. In order to make this work, I have been: (1) disabling bluetooth on my phone; (2) carrying the card, that I use to lock and unlock the car. This has been cumbersome, and I’ve also noticed that the car doesn’t smoothly pair with the phone when I turn bluetooth back on (e.g., I’ve had to start the car with the card after my run, and turn Bluetooth on/off multiple times before the pairing resumes working smoothly). Is there a more elegant way to do this, that doesn’t involve carrying the phone when I run? Is there a trick to more smoothly re-pairing the car and phone after turning BT off on the phone?

I know I could carry the phone (e.g., in an armband) but prefer not to, as my watch (Apple Watch with cellular) can both GPS-track my run and take calls/texts if urgent. Less weight/equipment too. The card weighs next to nothing and fits in the small zippered pocket in my running shorts.

i haven't had many issues with the phone re-pairing/re-connecting after disabling BT, maybe you just need to give it time? This could be model specific to your phone and BT in general.

I think you're "right" in that you need to disable BT on your phone. Another thread here was complaining that it was "unsafe" that the car remained unlocked (or seemed to) because they left one phone (ie key) in their trunk and they were able to return to the car and open it. My advice to you is to use your keycard to drive until your phone syncs up. This should be automagic anyway, considering that's how BT works.