Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Supercharger locations for East Bay to Tahoe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are cheap like me you could try stopping at Elk Grove on the way up as it's 1/3 less to charge there than the 45¢ per the rest of the Superchargers on the trip up would be.

If you are REALLY cheap like me you would invest in a CCS adapter and stop in Davis at the only single station Electrify America and not pay for charging at all.

I pass through Pleasanton from the South Bay on to Tahoe trips. I have a model y long range and I find Auburn is the best place for me to charge as it minimizes the time needed to get sufficient charge to get up the hill. If you do have a CCS adapter the nearby electrify America station has also worked well for me. Loomis is also good but is frequently busy at the times I go by.

Heading to Tahoe (Palisades) from the East Bay (Pleasanton) this week and wanted suggestions for the best places to charge. Any suggestions?
Try finding charging stations from Plugshare. You will find plenty of options, but make sure to check the reviews of other Tesla owners. Also, check if they have a parking space.

Locate charging stations from here:

Tip: Plan your route according to the charging stations infrastructure to avoid any range anxiety.

If you are cheap like me you could try stopping at Elk Grove on the way up as it's 1/3 less to charge there than the 45¢ per the rest of the Superchargers on the trip up would be.

If you are REALLY cheap like me you would invest in a CCS adapter and stop in Davis at the only single station Electrify America and not pay for charging at all.
It's even cheaper at 18 cents per kWh at J St supercharger before noon and after 6, or 22 cents during "peak". Not that hard to get parking validation either and you won't detour too far off route.

Hmmm... Gotten screwed too many times at parking structures. Gotta learn to wait and drive out with another car. I think Letterman Drive was the last time I let one of those sucker me into charging thinking I wouldn't get boned. It's been quite some time since that one opened.

Davis is 250kw, and seems open. It's on the correct side of the freeway for you.

Vacaville is only a 150 and is generally crowded.
Generally agree, but for many Tesla owners, there really isn't any difference in stopping at a 150 or 250 kw charger, DEPENDING on the age of the car and the battery, among other factors. You probably know, but some may not know, that the peak rate of charging in a car is only for a short time anyway. I have a 2017 and a 2020 and I almost never get over 150kw and if I do, it is only for a few minutes. Those 250 locations are really a benefit for newer cars.

I just ran my batt down to zero "on | by" accident and when I got to the Supercharger I was able to still get 250kW for the first 15% of the battery even after 145,000 miles. I think that's the same I was getting when v3 first came out (battery wasn't new then either). It's crazy you only need five minutes charge to go 0% to 20%, when your battery is warm. Assuming the next v3 is close.

IMG_9671.jpeg

@Silicon Desert is right though, if I go 0-100% on v2 and v3 I get the same charge time, the curve is just slightly different and better if you are NOT topping the batteries on the v3 as I said above

Heading to Tahoe (Palisades) from the East Bay (Pleasanton) this week and wanted suggestions for the best places to charge. Any suggestions?
We also leave from Pleasanton and always stop by at Auburn Supercharger, because, first, it is right on the way to Tahoe, no need to take any extra exits, second this is what tesla suggests :) They always have chargers available. Places to eat, not fancy, but ok. Restrooms and just generally OK place to stop, not too crowded. Tesla always suggests to stop for 5-10 minutes, but I usually just stay there, eat and walk around so car gets 60%-80% charge (still plenty of chargers available, so no wait time at all) so I can get to my destinations without any other stops. In rare cases we stop by at Truckee supercharger by Safeway to buy groceries or whatever we need or Tahoe City, they also have few chargers there.

On the way back if you have enough charge we stop once at Oakshade Town Center in Davis. Again by the Safeway, so restrooms and groceries if you need.

While in Tahoe, I just charge at aribnb from 110v and that is more than enough to keep the charge around 80%