Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Tint Option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a white P3D and was wondering what people would recommend for tint. I like the dark look with the dark wheels on the white.

Just curious what people have done and liked/not liked in terms of ceramic, doing the windshields, top, etc. Thanks.

50% Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle on the windshield, all side windows, and lower half of the rear window. Tint installer said the only option for the roof was non-ceramic due to the risk of cracking so I left it as-is.

DD9F134A-628A-4069-8F41-935FEC48F1D7_1_201_a.jpeg
73E12B6D-08B6-4BAE-BA24-456C81058FB5_1_201_a.jpeg
rear window. Nothing on the roof.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL
50% Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle on the windshield, all side windows, and lower half of the rear window. Tint installer said the only option for the roof was non-ceramic due to the risk of cracking so I left it as-is.

View attachment 566786 View attachment 566787 rear window. Nothing on the roof.

Interesting -- I have the sides and rear windows all tinted (30% Suntek CIR) but not the windshield or front roof glass. I was thinking it might be worth getting them done in the near future, especially the roof glass. I've never heard that Ceramic film would increase the risk of the glass cracking. Not sure why that would be the case on the roof glass but not elsewhere? Can you or someone else clarify?

I recently purchased a white P3D and was wondering what people would recommend for tint. I like the dark look with the dark wheels on the white.

Just curious what people have done and liked/not liked in terms of ceramic, doing the windshields, top, etc. Thanks.
Hello! I am taking delivery of my red M3LR tomorrow morning! VERY excited! I have already made arrangements to have all of the glass tinted. Here is California, it is illegal to have really dark tint on the front door windows and no tint is allowed on the windshield. I am having 70% on the windshield (they tell me the tint is hardly noticeable, but it blocks 97% of UV rays... or something like that); 20% dark limo tint on back door windows and on the entire roof/back window; 40% on driver and front passenger doors. I believe they are using a 3M Ceramic Nano film which is recommended for her in the Southern California desert. There is a great video by a place called Texas Tint Masters in Houston, TX, that taught me the need to find a place that has a lot of experience with the Model 3. Best of luck with yours!

View attachment 566786 View attachment 566787 rear window. Nothing on the roof.
I was told today by a tint place in Southern California (that I intend to use for my new Model 3) that the potential cracking of the roof/back window glass when using ceramic film is no longer an issue. They told me this was a problem previously, but that Tesla has changed the glass now and it’s no longer a potential problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Cybertronian
Interesting -- I have the sides and rear windows all tinted (30% Suntek CIR) but not the windshield or front roof glass. I was thinking it might be worth getting them done in the near future, especially the roof glass. I've never heard that Ceramic film would increase the risk of the glass cracking. Not sure why that would be the case on the roof glass but not elsewhere? Can you or someone else clarify?
I was told by a tint place in Southern California (that I intend to use for my new Model 3) that the potential cracking of the roof/rear window glass when using ceramic film is no longer an issue. They told me this was a problem previously but that Tesla has changed the glass now and it’s no longer a problem. Hope they are right because ceramic is best and necessary where I live - the desert.

My installer stated not to install ceramic on the Model 3 rear glass since they have been prone to cracking. The ceramic film absorbs more heat and can possibly contribute to cracking. His personal daily driver s a Model 3.
I was told today by a tint place in Southern California (that I intend to use for my new Model 3) that the potential cracking of the roof/back window glass when using ceramic film is no longer an issue. they told me this was a problem previously but Tesla has changed the glass now and it’s no longer a potential problem. Tint Masters in Houston, TX told me the same thing.

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS
I was told today by a tint place in Southern California (that I intend to use for my new Model 3) that the potential cracking of the roof/back window glass when using ceramic film is no longer an issue. they told me this was a problem previously but Tesla has changed the glass now and it’s no longer a potential problem. Tint Masters in Houston, TX told me the same thing.

I was told something similar - they said the new glass is thicker. This shop has two model 3 rear glass that they bought from Tesla so they've really had hands on both versions.

Reactions: PS Red3
Screenshot_20200721-074217_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200721-074251_Gallery.jpg Here's a shot of my after and before. 20% all around except windshield with full ceramic coating. Ceramic coating also has a warranty of 10yrs, so you got that in your back pocket too. IMO it's almost double the price of regular tint, but it does block more sunlight. I thought 20% would be super dark, but it's not bad at all if that was a concern.

View attachment 567087 View attachment 567088 Here's a shot of my after and before. 20% all around except windshield with full ceramic coating. Ceramic coating also has a warranty of 10yrs, so you got that in your back pocket too. IMO it's almost double the price of regular tint, but it does block more sunlight. I thought 20% would be super dark, but it's not bad at all if that was a concern.
I think they are suggesting I do 20% on rear doors and rear window because I like the limo black look, but I'm wondering if it might be too dark to see well through the back window (?). I have the white interior, too.

I think they are suggesting I do 20% on rear doors and rear window because I like the limo black look, but I'm wondering if it might be too dark to see well through the back window (?). I have the white interior, too.

You should be fine. I have the black interior and I can still see through the glass. I also have the front windows at 20% along with the whole back glass/roof. With the white it should be more transparent.