Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to buy a Plaid sight unseen.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I may have found a ‘21 plaid to buy from a private seller. Unfortunately the car is pretty far from me. What things could I get the seller to send me to make sure the car is in good running order and what would be the best way to handle the paper work as I will be financing. Also anyone recommend a good transport company.

Thank you for the help!

Just a thought. Call the most local Tesla Service Center near where the car is located. Speak to a tech there. Offer some amount of money for them to check out the car for you.

My logic is, if you're going to spend the better part of $100K on a car you can go for a few hundred bucks to see if it's the right EV for you.

Rich

Reactions: SilverGS
Too many variable and risks. When I was looking for my used MS, I only was open to local within a 2 hours drive or a large company like CarMax/Vroom that can transport it to me no matter how much the discount was.
Do keep in mind that if you go pick it up and drive back yourself, there may be issues w supercharging if the ownership transfer for some reason doesn't go thru instantly. Also Tesla tech can only do an inspection under the current owner of the vehicle (phone app access)

It's also possible to have a standard mechanic perform a pre-purchase inspection, although they probably won't be able to examine the electrical components,

Look up a local mechanic in his market, and let him know you want him to take it to that mechanic (one that he does not already know)! Should be $150 - $250.

The electrical components should be under warranty regardless - you are looking for bodywork, damage, and general signs of how well the car was taken care of.

Hopefully you will get an impartial set of eyes on it, as well as learn about any damages that may not be noticeable.

You can also ask the mechanic if he is able to facetime or provide video / pictures!

DO NOT BUY A CAR WITHOUT LOOKING AT IT IN-PERSON AND PERFORMING A THOROUGH INSPECTION!!

someone was trying to sell me a stunning model S plaid in MTL but refused to specify the details and meet-up place when me and my dad were deciding to buy it then and there. It later turned out to be a scam. Deffff be careful with purchasing anything online.

Reactions: zoomer0056
DO NOT BUY A CAR WITHOUT LOOKING AT IT IN-PERSON AND PERFORMING A THOROUGH INSPECTION!!

someone was trying to sell me a stunning model S plaid in MTL but refused to specify the details and meet-up place when me and my dad were deciding to buy it then and there. It later turned out to be a scam. Deffff be careful with purchasing anything online.
Good point. If you have a colleague in the city that may help provide some additional reassurance, assuming the person checks out over the phone.

Thank you everyone! Unfortunately seller ghosted me and I can not back in contact with him. Oh well on to possibly finding another one closer. Been going back and forth between the plaid, taycan 4s and g80 m3. All different but fun I am sure.

• Helpful
Reactions: tomsla
Many years ago I found a corvette at a used corvette dealer. Beautiful. I exchanged many emails and received many requested pics. I bought a one way ticket and did a test drive . Beautufull car but it made clicking sounds when letting off the gas. I was there 6 hours while it stumped the mechanics. The dealer called a retired mechanic who said to check the spindles from drive train into the rear wheels. Bingo! Some high temp grease and good to go. I had the car for 8 years no problem.

Another story. My buddy bought a Z06 sight unseen and had it transported. Of course he had pics, and other references. The car had no problems at all.

The moral of these stories, do your homework anyway you can but be thorough.

Reactions: tomsla
Thank you everyone! Unfortunately seller ghosted me and I can not back in contact with him. Oh well on to possibly finding another one closer. Been going back and forth between the plaid, taycan 4s and g80 m3. All different but fun I am sure.
Plaid = one trick pony.
Taycan is fun, more balanced, and has far better handling and steering feel.
G80 m3 most fun overall, best sound.

Your not making it easy! Lol. Biggest advantage of the plaid is the size in the rear with a growing teenager. But he prefers the g80 as well.
I disagree. The biggest advantage of the Plaid by far is the it's acceleration. Nothing factory stock really comes close. The back seats aren't very comfortable or roomy for the size of the car, but the work.
I wouldn't say a one-trick-pony either...The plaid handles better than people give it credit for.
At this point, Id take a new M3comp xdrive over any EV tbh.

Reactions: Bigsakius