Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to monitor home EV energy consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 14-50 outlet which charges my Model S. I’d like to know exactly how much energy is used by this circuit vs. home use.
What’s the best way to do this? I have SmartThings so something that integrates with that would be good.

Depends what is your budget. You can get a "smart charger" for $300-$500, but if you already have something, that's not great. If you are using the mobile charger, then purchasing a Wifi charger could work.

Some people use "TeslaFi" service.

Or you can get a "dumb meter".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20

Thanks, the dumb meter is actually looking really good. Just a running total. I don’t need scheduled charging etc.

Thanks, the dumb meter is actually looking really good. Just a running total. I don’t need scheduled charging etc.

It installs by piercing through your black and red wires (assuming those are the colors you have, and installed right) which go through the holes. Pierce the insulation just enough to get power to the box but not enough to damage the wires (with power off, as screws will be hot). Neutral (white) and ground bypass the box.

It has a shield for the hot screws, but is supposed to be installed in a box of some kind or in the wall. I got some extra wire (make sure to get the right gauge) to make up for cutting it.

I've got a spreadsheet that I update when I feel like it. I don't really need to know my exact "monthly" total.