Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Wish you could reduce Supercharging usage? Looking for testers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm interested in perhaps a marginally-similar issue - getting across a charging desert. Specifically Flagstaff to Cortez Co via Kayenta.

What I'm wondering is if something like this can be portable enough to serve as an additional battery backup to carry along? You know, drive to 1%, stop, plug in your device and get enough charge to make it another 50-100 miles.

Once IN Cortez, I see value in the 120v recharge because there are very few fast chargers (no DC) in Cortez, I could foresee plugging a wall connector into a 120v outlet and the battery device into a 2nd one, then recharging a bit faster in the morning to get enough charge to move on.

It would need about 50Kwh capacity and not be too heavy to load in and out of a Model Y.

Hey @
I'm interested in perhaps a marginally-similar issue - getting across a charging desert. Specifically Flagstaff to Cortez Co via Kayenta.

What I'm wondering is if something like this can be portable enough to serve as an additional battery backup to carry along? You know, drive to 1%, stop, plug in your device and get enough charge to make it another 50-100 miles.

Once IN Cortez, I see value in the 120v recharge because there are very few fast chargers (no DC) in Cortez, I could foresee plugging a wall connector into a 120v outlet and the battery device into a 2nd one, then recharging a bit faster in the morning to get enough charge to move on.

It would need about 50Kwh capacity and not be too heavy to load in and out of a Model Y.

The 50kwh capacity and loading into and out of a Model Y without a crane is impossible due to current battery technology. So we are focusing on the augmentation of 120V and if you need extra juice, it is light enough to carry in and out of a MY, but there is no battery technology available where you can get 50kwh

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
At 250Wh/kg, a typical NMC cell density, and about as good as it gets (battery-chemistry-wise), 50kWh comes to 200kg (440lb). This does not consider pack/module-level packaging overhead.

Breaking such a battery up into smaller modules (say, 5kWh each) would improve portability. But no getting around the total weight.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H