Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Way to Protect Paint and Seats

What’s the best way to protect the paint job?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a white on white Raven and was going to get the exterior ceramic coated, but the salesman mentioned protective film. I did a little research and it mentioned a vinyl wrap would be a better option if you’re looking to protect the full car paint job. What’s the best option?

Also how do you protect the white seats?

Also, I’m not sure what Google search you did but the first result it pretty darn relevant and helpful... C’mon people. Let’s get back to complaining about paint quality!!!

Paint Protection Film vs Ceramic Coating | What's Best?

Can someone get an admin to just sticky this image?

7F9659B2-46EC-4DE6-9C6D-4262F80828FF.jpeg

Ppf if you're logging serious mileage. Optimum optiseal is a good "everything" sealant. Exterior surfaces including glass, interior leather, seats and glass. Works very well with ONR for all initial wipedown inside and out. Even windows. There are a couple good youtube videos with Yvan Lacroix and the rag co.

Also, I’m not sure what Google search you did but the first result it pretty darn relevant and helpful... C’mon people. Let’s get back to complaining about paint quality!!!

View attachment 452450

I saw that, but I also found conflicting information. And I’m much inclined to believe someone who has actually gotten the service done than someone providing the service. If don’t want to participate in the conversation then don’t, but why are you frustrated that people don’t want to read through hundreds of threads in hopes of finding the answers they’re looking for?

There is quite a big difference between Ceramic Coatings, PPF, and Vinyl. Check out the video below to explain the differences between Ceramic Coating and PPF.

Engineering Explained

When comparing PPF to vinyl, the most important thing to note is that vinyl is typically 2-3mil in thickness whereas PPF is generally around 8mil thick. Vinyl is for looks, PPF is for protection.

Reactions: Apoztel
I just took delivery of a white on white Raven and was going to get the exterior ceramic coated, but the salesman mentioned protective film. I did a little research and it mentioned a vinyl wrap would be a better option if you’re looking to protect the full car paint job. What’s the best option?

Also how do you protect the white seats?

First of all you have to accept that Tesla paint is not exactly the world's best. You will have to start with a professional paint correction. After that take it home and cover it in the garage and leave it there (takes care of the seat problem too). But this isn't paint worth getting nuts over to the point that you don't drive the car. PPF over the entire car is silly in my opinion. If you are that obsessive you will notice the lines where the PPF is trimmed. It's pretty smooth but is it shiny enough or do you have to apply ceramic to the PPF? I would recommend you have a paint correction done, apply PPF to the front bumper and rocker panels (the most likely areas for stone chips and the film is not that visible) and apply whatever you like to the rest of the car (I have used carnuba wax and polymer sealant with quite satisfactory results). IMHO PPF looks fine until you get up really close, then it is obvious you are looking at plastic wrap on top of the paint. The Tesla interior materials seem to be quite durable and clean up very nicely. I wouldn't get too worried about the seats as long as you clean them periodically. Seriously, if you want a show car don't buy a Tesla. The paint and body panel gaps just aren't up to world class standards. Keep it clean and shiny and drive the hell out of it.

• Love
Reactions: mjx858
I had my hood/front bumper covered with PPF. One has to get REALLY close to tell. I've had many people check out my S and without telling them, none had any idea there was a film over it. (I have the Blue color). So if done RIGHT, it's not easy for someone who doesnt already know and who isnt looking at certain corners, to know it has PPF. (I had my hood wrapped around each edge so that no lines show).

Based on my history of owning cars, it was always hood/front end that had stone chips after many many miles/years. Not the sides/roof/back part. So to me, would have been not a good financial value to have all of those PPF'ed

View attachment 452450

View attachment 452450
this is a great pictorial of the protection qualities of both.....makes it clear and give you so much info in order to give you information on what each do for protection