Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better receptacle for charging with mobile connector - 14-30 (30amp).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone

Looking for recommendations for a better quality NEMA 14-30 receptacle. I've been using a 8$ leviton one form home depot without issue for months but keep seeing posts about melted sockets. Looking to get a better quality one. I've searched around and found these.....any recommendations? Ordering from Canada if that helps.

HUBBELL RR430F Trade-Select™ Single Receptacle Straight Blade Single Receptacle 30 A, 14-30R Black

LEVITON 278-S00 Shallow Straight Blade Receptacle 30 A, 14-30R Black

Thanks!

My experience with a Leviton 6-50 receptacle is that it caused heat warnings from the Tesla mobile connector at 32A during the summer, but not if I set the car to 28A or lower.

Since a 14-30 receptacle should only be charging at 24A or lower, it is probably ok in your case. However, if you want a greater margin of safety, or if you are using a different EVSE with no heat sensor in the plug, any receptacle with full brass contacts to the plug blades (versus the half size steel contacts in the Leviton) is likely to be an improvement in terms of heat generated at the plug.

Note: Leviton receptacles may be smaller depthwise than many others. So it is possible that you need a larger box or a box extension for some other receptacle.

Last edited:
Looking for recommendations for a better quality NEMA 14-30 receptacle. I've been using a 8$ leviton one form home depot without issue for months but keep seeing posts about melted sockets. Looking to get a better quality one..but if possible not the nearly 200$ top line Hubbell. I've searched around and found these.....any recommendations? Ordering from Canada if that helps.

Thanks!

Same advice as for the 14-50R; don't go cheap. I have seen 14-30R from Hubbell and Bryant advertised on Amazon.

Also, don't regularly unplug as these higher amperage receptacles (i.e. 14-50, 6-50, 14-30, 10-30) are not designed for repeated plugging and unplugging.

Don't leave the Mobile Connector chassis hanging by just the power plug adapter.

Same advice as for the 14-50R; don't go cheap. I have seen 14-30R from Hubbell and Bryant advertised on Amazon.

Also, don't regularly unplug as these higher amperage receptacles (i.e. 14-50, 6-50, 14-30, 10-30) are not designed for repeated plugging and unplugging.

Don't leave the Mobile Connector chassis hanging by just the power plug adapter.
So you'd go for the 150-200$ plug? No middle ground level that's better than the 8$ junk but not dipped in gold?

So you'd go for the 150-200$ plug? No middle ground level that's better than the 8$ junk but not dipped in gold?
No but something around $50 US would likely be a big step up in quality, durability from an $8 receptacle sold loose in a bin in a home improvement center electrical aisle. For a clothes dryer the $8 receptacle would be fine. Dryers have thermostats and timers. A clothes dryer rarely is unplugged. The thermostat will cycle the dryer heating element on and off while drying the clothes. The dryer never runs for more than ~90 minutes per cycle.

No but something around $50 US would likely be a big step up in quality, durability from an $8 receptacle sold loose in a bin in a home improvement center electrical aisle. For a clothes dryer the $8 receptacle would be fine. Dryers have thermostats and timers. A clothes dryer rarely is unplugged. The thermostat will cycle the dryer heating element on and off while drying the clothes. The dryer never runs for more than ~90 minutes per cycle.
seems in canada we have the 5-8$ ones, some hard to find 20$ ones then the top tier 150-200ish$ ones.