Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TT-30 (campgrounds and RV parks) to Gen 2 Mobile Connector for 24A 120V charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The whole TT30 to 14-50 has more risk than I take, and electrically I’m one of the more “creative” ones code wise here. Provlem? As has been said, some RV dogbones will deliver the same 120v leg to both 14-50 hot posts. No beuno.

I’d make my own, but the advice of using a Tesla tail made to signal 30 is the best advice. Truth? If you had to ask you should be using the Tesla tail.

The whole TT30 to 14-50 has more risk than I take, and electrically I’m one of the more “creative” ones code wise here. Provlem? As has been said, some RV dogbones will deliver the same 120v leg to both 14-50 hot posts. No beuno.

I’d make my own, but the advice of using a Tesla tail made to signal 30 is the best advice. Truth? If you had to ask you should be using the Tesla tail.

IMG_2584.jpeg

you mean we should be using this ?

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and wws
1-buy a $10 non ev rv adapter and switch the hot wires inside.. (unsafe and wont be water proof)
2-buy a $40 adapter like the one i linked in my previous post .. reviews mention something about melting at 24amp
3-buy the $100 tt-30 adapter specifically made for the mobile charger gen2. But reviews are not all great either.. apparently they fail and don't last.

It is worth nothing that when using options 1 & 2 you have to tell the car to limit charging to 24A. While the car should retain that setting for the location it does, on occasion, forget - in which case it will attempt to charge at 50A and will quickly blow the breaker.

With option 3, the adapter tells the car to limit charging to 24A

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
It is worth nothing that when using options 1 & 2 you have to tell the car to limit charging to 24A. While the car should retain that setting for the location it does, on occasion, forget - in which case it will attempt to charge at 50A and will quickly blow the breaker.

With option 3, the adapter tells the car to limit charging to 24A

yea we often exit the car, lock it.. come back a min later because we forgot something like the sunglasses.. then lock it and opps we forgot something else… and lock it again.. sometime its in camp mode, other time it's in keep mode.. so you are probably Right.. we may inadvertently put it to higher amp by accident.. i'll probably grab the $100 one…

Amazon.com
this is the adapteri just ordered from amazon for my next year camping session..

my question, what do you think of it?
That is a TT-30 -> 14-50. A Tesla Mobile Connector with the 14-50 plug in it will try to draw 32A, which exceeds the 30A rating and the 24A that continuous draw like EV charging should use with a TT-30 receptacle. If you use such a thing, you need to be sure to set the car to draw 24A or lower.

Either of the options listed in the first post of this thread (TT-30 -> 14-30 plus 14-30 plug for TMC, or TT-30 plug for TMC) will tell the TMC to draw 24A from a TT-30 receptacle without risking forgetting to set the car to 24A or lower.

• Helpful
I don't understand the comments about the Tesla TT-30 adapter. Does not exist; never has.

I have both a TT-30P to 14-50R and a 14-30P to 14-50R. I change the amps in the car; it is like making sure you fill your car with gasoline and not diesel. The car remembers the charging level for a specific location, so you do not have to reset every evening. Some campgrounds cannot even support 32 A on a 14-50 circuit, so I have to charge at 24 A.

I try to minimize the number of adapters in series. A "standard" (not EV) 14 series receptacle won't work, as other have mentioned.You need to have a 14 series EV so the 120 V is delivered to one hot, and the other hot is a neutral. If you want to make your connection more "idiot-resistant", go TT-30P to 6-30R. Only three pins on both ends, no confusion!

The advantage of using the 14-50 is that I have all my adapters convert to 14-50. Then I can use a 14-50 extension cord. I use an extension cord almost half the time I'm in a campground because I cannot get both the car and camper close enough to the pedestal.

I don't understand the comments about the Tesla TT-30 adapter. Does not exist; never has.

I have both a TT-30P to 14-50R and a 14-30P to 14-50R. I change the amps in the car; it is like making sure you fill your car with gasoline and not diesel. The car remembers the charging level for a specific location, so you do not have to reset every evening. Some campgrounds cannot even support 32 A on a 14-50 circuit, so I have to charge at 24 A.

I try to minimize the number of adapters in series. A "standard" (not EV) 14 series receptacle won't work, as other have mentioned.You need to have a 14 series EV so the 120 V is delivered to one hot, and the other hot is a neutral. If you want to make your connection more "idiot-resistant", go TT-30P to 6-30R. Only three pins on both ends, no confusion!

The advantage of using the 14-50 is that I have all my adapters convert to 14-50. Then I can use a 14-50 extension cord. I use an extension cord almost half the time I'm in a campground because I cannot get both the car and camper close enough to the pedestal.
They're talking about third party adapters, which are better because of not needing to stack adapters, as you mention, having the temperature sensor in place, and not needing a manual dialing down of the amperage.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and wws
I change the amps in the car; it is like making sure you fill your car with gasoline and not diesel. The car remembers the charging level for a specific location, so you do not have to reset every evening.
It remembers sometimes except for when it doesn't. And it remembers it if the GPS coordinate is close enough or accurate enough, except for when it isn't. That's why it is so much better to adapt from one 30A outlet type to another of the same amp level. The adapters will then signal the car by the hardware in the adapters, and then the person doesn't have to remember to do anything. I also still have one of those TT-30P to 14-50R adapters because we didn't have a better solution back then.