Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TT-30 (campgrounds and RV parks) to Gen 2 Mobile Connector for 24A 120V charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To connect to a TT-30 receptacle (30A, 120V) sometimes found in campgrounds and RV parks, there seem to be two options:

1. AC WORKS® [G2EVTT30-24A] Gen 2 EV Charging NEMA TT-30 Adapter For Gen. II Tesla Mobile Connector -- plugs directly into the mobile connector for 24A 120V charging.
2. ONETAK Power Cord Adapter for EV Charger and https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters (14-30) -- basically an adapter between TT-30P and 14-30R, to which the 14-30P adapter that Tesla sells plugs into for 24A 120V charging.

Any comments on either option? #2 seems to be slightly less expensive (about $30 + $45 = $70, versus $85 to $99), plus you also end up with the ability to use 14-30 receptacles. But adapter to adapter seems like more potential points of failure.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I have the ONETAK TT-30P to 14-30R cable. Bought it from Amazon about 3 years ago but still have not used it. I bought that cable since I already had the NEMA 14-30 adapter for the mobile connector. The main drawback on using the cable is that the heat sensor inside the NEMA adapter is not located at the supply socket.

Reactions: BitJam
Second for the EVSE Adapters TT-30. I've used it several times and it works great!

Reactions: Bacalao
Yes, already have a 14-50 adapter. But I was told that the campground in question has a few 14-50 that are the quickest to fill up, and lots of TT-30 that supposedly never fill up.
I am not an RVer, but it is my understanding that the power pedestals typically have both the 14-50 and TT-30 outlets along with a couple of standard 120V outlets. You may wish to inquire further before spending money on a solutipon you may not need.

If you decide you need the TT-30 option I would go with the TT-30 adapter (option 1). It costs less and is less complex. I doubt you will find many locations to use a 14-30 adapter (option 2).

I am not an RVer, but it is my understanding that the power pedestals typically have both the 14-50 and TT-30 outlets along with a couple of standard 120V outlets. You may wish to inquire further before spending money on a solutipon you may not need.
The information was from a Tesla driver who had camped at that campground recently. Basically, the few spots with 14-50 fill up first, while there are plenty of spots left with TT-30.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and ATPMSD
The AC Works adapter appears identical to the evseadapters adapter - right down to the little pull handle on the plug. I have a couple of the evseadapters adapters (TT-30 and L14-30), and they work great. Evseadapters must sell a lot of the TT-30 versions because they often show upwards of 1000 in stock. So I'd imagine they will be back in stock soon.

The few times I've charged at RV parks, I've been able to use 14-50s. But it was definitely the case at a couple of them that there were limited numbers of 14-50 spots available compared to the number of TT-30 spots.

Reactions: brkaus
I'm just glad to see people are finally building these to wisely go from one 30A outlet type to another 30A outlet type. For way too long, people were adapting these to 14-50, which was a pretty bad idea.
Yes, I also saw TT-30P to 14-50R adapters, which would require setting the car to charge at 24A instead of using the EVSE's setting (32A for a Tesla Mobile connector with 14-50P plug, and presumably other EVSEs with 14-50P plugs). Agree that this is a bad idea. It is even worse for some other cars where neither the car nor the included portable EVSE with 14-50P plug can set a lower charging amperage.

Yes, I also saw TT-30P to 14-50R adapters, which would require setting the car to charge at 24A instead of using the EVSE's setting (32A for a Tesla Mobile connector with 14-50P plug, and presumably other EVSEs with 14-50P plugs). Agree that this is a bad idea. It is even worse for some other cars where neither the car nor the included portable EVSE with 14-50P plug can set a lower charging amperage.
My first time with tt30 adapter I had to set the amps to 16. It may be the Tesla mobile charger senses 120v and cancels the charge if over 16a @ 120v. Have an ax works adapter arriving in a day or two. We will see if that one chips the charger to allow 24 amps @ 120v.

My first time with tt30 adapter I had to set the amps to 16. It may be the Tesla mobile charger senses 120v and cancels the charge if over 16a @ 120v. Have an ax works adapter arriving in a day or two. We will see if that one chips the charger to allow 24 amps @ 120v.
It would likely just be poor electrical system quality where you were plugging in the TT-30. Many RV parks are pretty poorly maintained and an RV doesn't really put that much strain on the park system. The car/evse doesn't actually care if it is 120v or 240v. It does care if the voltage drops more than a certain % during the charging session though.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Home. Separate circuit for RV. No other major draws at the same time. I started with set at 24 and after a few moments, the charging stopped. Worked fine at 16.

I know the circuit is solid, I added it. The circuit is over wired, and only a couple feet from the panel. I was using a known good 15’ extension cord, the same setup as use to charge the LIPO’s in the RV.

When I get time to move the RV, and the ac works adapter arrives, I will play with it more.

When I get more time, I’ll likely convert our home outlet to 14-50.