Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better streetlights to free up grid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been a member of the International Dark-Sky Association for years.

I've noticed in my town most new constructions -- the new hospital, the new Alco store -- have shielded lights around their buildings and parking lots. It's a step in the right direction. However, most of the street lights around town are the same old super-cheap, inefficient, glare-in-your-eyes designs from the 1960s.

Some of them have been switched from mercury vapor lamps to sodium lamps (yellow tint), which increases the efficiency a bit. There's still a long way to go, and basically I don't expect any big change unless the city can get some kind of grant from the state. Our local leaders love grant money: looking for grant money and applying for grants is basically all they do.

That's why we have a new hospital, and a new high school, and a large new sports complex, and a new park, and a new library. . . none of which our town actually needed, while our water lines and street paving, neglected for decades, continue to crumble.