TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bhutan Hatches Ambitious Plan To Convert All Cars To EVs

Discussion in 'News' started by igotzzoom, Jul 9, 2014.

1. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

#1 igotzzoom, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Amazing program, but I think they should use a car with liquid battery thermal management and better battery life controls. Since cost is an issue both the Chevy Spark EV and Ford Focus Electric, which have these systems, are more well suited (or of course the Model S if possible).

I'd like to see something like this here in the US. With the upcoming Tesla Generation III+ I think it will be easier for people to go EV.

3. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

I'm thinking maybe an electrified version of the Tata Nano, considering Bhutan's close trade relationship with India. Of course, on a volume basis, Bhutan is barely a blip on the radar screen, with a population of only a little over 700,000, and only about 40,000 vehicles registered in the entire country. Will be an interesting experimental microcosm.

4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Plus, with 100% of the country's electricity coming from hydropower, what a concept! I wish them all well, and hope they can then expand that venture to include its buses; perhaps even its trucks.

And....with an mean elevation of 8,000 feet, this sure would solve all carburetor problems!

5. Owner

Owner Active Member

Having been fortunate to have been to the lovely country of Bhutan, I found some interesting articles from their official paper (through the government).

Looks like it is some used Leaf's. Next article is about the taxi driver's thoughts and an article about the first two electric cars in Bhutan and some help from Japan.

50 ‘Leaf’ electric cars due by early June
    Cabbies not yet sold on electric alternative
    Country’s first two electric cars call it a day
    Japan to help with charging stations

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

In Japan, it becomes progressively more expensive to drive an older car, so many not-so-old used cars are shipped to various countries.