Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bicycle hitch affect on efficiency x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it would be interesting to see the change in efficiency between roof mounted bicycles and hitch mounted bikes. Notwithstanding Foxbiscuits’ remarks (and they are substantially correct!), a roof mounted bike is in a localized area of higher pressure which increases drag, whereas a hitch mounted bike is in a localized area of lower pressure which, though more turbulent, should lower total drag. I certainly can’t predict the outcome, but it would be interesting if some curious soul out there could test it

I think you're right actually, from my very basic internet research the roof rack option is less aero.
Maybe rerun your route test? Sometimes wind can play a big factor.
I don't see how adding the bike could lower drag but I'm no physicist, would be good to hear others opinions with accompanying data.

There's something fishy about a efficiency drop that significant over JUST the addition of the bike rack.

Unless in addition to the rack (and presumably bikes), you also had a ton of cargo in the car. Oh, and it was a really cold and windy day. And...